Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Short to mid arm Setup question >

Short to mid arm Setup question

Short to mid arm Setup question

Old 09-08-2011, 06:00 AM

I am looking to buy some type of setup within the next few months. I just don't have the room or money for any type of longarm. A juki 98 or 2000 with a grace start right queen frame, or a Bailey 13" on the same frame is pretty much what I can afford. I read a few places that the Start Right frame does have a problem tho...can anyone clarify this for me? Also, anyone interested in selling ? I am looking new or used.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 AM

i don't know about the start right frame but i have a bailey 15" on a grace pro frame. i have gone thru 2 sets of tracks on my frame (plastic) when i called grace they said that the bailey is too heavy for them.the bailey wieghs about 60 lbs. and i bought it as a packaged deal. a LOT of people use the grace frames with bailey machines and have no problems but a handful of us have.
love my machine by the way
if you can swing the extra you should get the 15"
Old 09-08-2011, 10:44 AM

Hey Cajamx.... I just purchased an HQ Sweet 16 mid arm machine and am so glad I invested the money! I'm only on my 3rd quilt and am very pleased with the setup. It's a table mount and I went back and got the table extension which was another great investment. I am very liminted on space as well and could not fit a frame in my studio. This table system works perfect. If you can, I'd totally recommend the Sweet 16 table mount mid arm.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:49 AM

the start right frame has 2 problems that i hear over and over again

1 - the teeth on the ends of the rails break often when rolling the quilt.

2 - the welding on the joints is so heavy that when you roll over those areas with the machine carriage you could skip stitches.

you might want to join the grace frame yahoo group - they have a database of items for sale by users.

plus you can search previous posts as ask the group how they feel about their frame.

i think most feel they got exactly what they paid for and are fine with that.

i would adhere to the throat size and weight limitations that the grace frame states to avoid issues with further breakage of parts.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned

I have the start right/juki combo and love it. FYI - Grace has realized the gear teeth were an issue and redesigned them. I had the old ones and when I called few weeks ago they gladly Fed Ex'd me not only a new one but all 3 new ones for free.

I have never had a problem of the carriage rolling over any of the joints and no skipped stitches however I have only had mine since June so that may be an issue they corrected as well.

I bought from kathysquilts.com and the set up also included the speed control, pre-made set of leaders, lamp that clips on carriage, pins, side clamps, etc. All I needed to get started was thread and a top. PM me if you want pictures or any info on the combo. I have since purchased the stitch regulator but I was so used to doing table top I've learned to control the stitch length so probably could have lived without.

If you go to youtube.com and type in grace start right you can see a number of videos of the company setting up, using, etc.

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
the start right frame has 2 problems that i hear over and over again

1 - the teeth on the ends of the rails break often when rolling the quilt.

2 - the welding on the joints is so heavy that when you roll over those areas with the machine carriage you could skip stitches.

you might want to join the grace frame yahoo group - they have a database of items for sale by users.

plus you can search previous posts as ask the group how they feel about their frame.

i think most feel they got exactly what they paid for and are fine with that.

i would adhere to the throat size and weight limitations that the grace frame states to avoid issues with further breakage of parts.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-253410.jpe  
Old 09-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Banned

PS - If you put the frame on furniture movers you can put against the wall if needed and easily slide out when you're using.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:15 PM

I have a baileys 15 on a modified gammill from the 90's, Its ok. From what I hear if you go with baileys the bigger the frame the better.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:22 PM

I have the berninA (grace ) frame. I love it. A used frame is the way to go - huge cost savings - and you will have more budget for the sewing macine to go on it.