Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Should I baste?

I am a newbie to machine quilting and have made about 4 quilts by hand. I just got a new machine from my wonderful hubby and I am learning all the bells and whistles on it. Have never done free motion quilting so I am practicing with some scraps from my stash. I tried doing some practicing with a layer of batting in between the two fabrics. I basted it all together like I did with my other quilts ---- BUT when I tried to do free motion the basting got tangled up with the presser foot. Sjould I still baste, or is there another, better way?
    Thanks

I always use spray basteing, even for small projects. Use it sparingly, and preferably, outside--it just takes a second, and a couple of very quick spritzes, and you are done.
    If I planned to enter the quilt at Paducah, then, and only then, would I consider actually basteing! :thumbup: :lol:

Thank you. I assume the spray basting does not mess the sewing machine up?

Blog Entries
    I use pins or spray baste... with pins, I remove them in the area where I am quilting, can you do the same with the basting stitches?

I do not have any trouble with the basting spray and my machine. Just make sure that you purchase temporary basting spray :wink: made for quilting :D:D:D

I hand baste mine also. You can remove the basting inthe area you're quilting just as you would with pins.

Thank you ;)

Spray basting is the greatest. No pins to remove and no basting thread in the way. And.....for me at least.....it seems to hold the layers better.

For machine quilting on my Linus quilts I pin baste but don's close the pins. They tend to fall out but it makes them very easy to remove and saves my hands all that opening and closing. I have a mechanic's magnet on a telescoping stick I use to pick up the ones that fall on the floor.