Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy an EQ7? >

Should I buy an EQ7?

Should I buy an EQ7?

Old 08-28-2016, 06:21 AM

I received EQ7 for Christmas but have not really used it. I am a business woman and have used computers for decades but can't get the hang of this program. I am my biggest impediment since I can't bring myself to set down in front of the computer for any length of time to learn. I have the boxed version but it is simply a big box with a small computer stick. No manual, etc. I know this is the trend but I long for the days of printed manuals. Once the weather turns however I have promised myself to get the hang of EQ7 as I love to see what the quilters I this board create.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Trene View Post
I have been sitting on the EQ fence for awhile as well. this may be the deciding question: can I resize a pattern figure out cutting instructions with it? What I mean is, I have a patten from a book, but the cutting instructions are for queen size only. I want to make a smaller quilt, but not decrease the size of the blocks. Make sense?
Yes, EQ can do that! I find it really useful.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:56 AM

I have the MAC version of EQ7. I have EQ3,4 and 5 but switched to a MAC and had to wait for them to put out a MAC version. I use it to make a mock up of a quilt I plan to make. Color the blocks in the colors I think I am going to use. Then I can print out the fabric requirements and cutting instructions. Also, if I need to paper piece any part of the blocks you can print them out as well. I have been using it for a while. I suppose there is a learning curve but if you have any knowlege of computers you can get up to speed fairly quickly, at least for the basics.
\Was frustrated that the EQ7 version required me to print out the manuel. At the price they charge, one would think they could send a manual and not just a DVD.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:03 AM

I am surprised they no longer issue a manual. Every version I've ever purchased has included one. I wonder if maybe they've gone to issuing a digital manual that's accessible within the software?
Old 08-28-2016, 07:47 PM

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't buy EQ7. I have it for my Mac and PC laptop (which I have for my embroidery program). I know computers/programs and find it tedious. You can do things faster with graph paper and a pencil/colored pencils. I find it was a waste of a lot of money that would have bought lovely fabric. Save your money… imho...

Last edited by quiltjoey; 08-28-2016 at 07:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2016, 02:46 AM

I, too, have been on the fence about making an EQ purchase. I'm afraid I would spend more time playing with the program and less time sewing. Also, I think I read somewhere that a EQ8 version is not too far down the road so maybe the 7 will be cheaper then?
Old 08-29-2016, 05:15 AM

I wish I loved it, but I find it to not be very intuitive. I get frustrated with it and by the time I decide to give it another shot I have to relearn everything. I keep thinking that one of these days I will spend enough time to really get the hang of it. I think my real problem is that I don't have a particular talent for designing on my own.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:51 PM

I got my EQ7 and have been going through the tutorials. I think it is going to be exactly what I wanted! I watched the first tutorial, then I had to experiment by building my SBS quilt design. So far, so good!
Old 09-01-2016, 02:47 PM

I have EQ7, also 5 and 6, but there is now an EQ mini. I just received an email from EQ today (http://electricquilt.com/online-shop...f3fa-289492549)
Old 09-02-2016, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Please post how you get along with it. Perhaps I am in the minority, but I found the learning curve for EQ7 to be tediously long, even with my background in software design and programming. Seems as if people with graphic design experience do better. There does seem to be a distinct differentiation between those who fall in love with EQ7 and those who never quite get the hang of using it.
I have to agree with Prism - even though I have been in IT for 25+ years (which includes programming, among other skills), I found EQ7 to be cumbersome, and in some cases, very rigid in the way you have to do things. Not nearly as intuitive as I had hoped.
Perhaps I'll get on it again this weekend and give it another shot.

Last edited by letawellman; 09-02-2016 at 08:20 AM.