Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser? >

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:38 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

I have been to Aubrey 2 times to do my hair and twice for a facial. She's in her twenties with a daughter. We were talking and I told her I made quilts and had given my kids so many quilts that they don't need any more. I said I didn't know what to do with all of them. She said "I don't have a quilt". Well, I have a choice to make. Should I give her a lap quilt? I don't think she realizes how expensive they are. I had it long armed quilted and it cost me $100 plus over $100 for the fabric. I don't have any runners to give her. She does a great job on my hair and I'm going to continue using her, but I just don't know if giving her such an expensive gift is the right thing to do. What do you think? I have quite a few quilts.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:47 AM

Give what makes you feel good
Old 12-16-2011, 07:51 AM
Banned

I was a hairdresser for over 20 years...the best I got for Christmas, or any time was a crystal candy bowl!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:58 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

So you think it would be appropriate to give her a quilt? I've had people tell me that I shouldn't because it cost so much. So I don't know what to do. I really like her. I know she has no idea about how expensive quilts are and how much time it takes. I'm leaning toward giving her the quilt. I think I need to give her a Christmas gift since I'm going to be using her. And that's so cool that you got the crystal candy bowl. That is what is making me lean toward giving her the quilt.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

What will she be expecting next year? A thorny issue for sure. I would maybe make up a quick small quilt for the daughter. It gets you off the hook and because it's for her daughter you will not be obligated to do something big next year. A nice short scissor fob would be a nice gift for her? (short so it doesn't interfer with cutting action?)
Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

I would not, at this point, give her a quilt. I think she made the comment about not having a quilt just as a way to keep the conversation going, and she doesn't expect that you will be giving her one. Your relationship with her is quite new, and it would put her in an awkward position to receive such a large gift. How can she ever reciprocate? On the other hand, a simple quilt for her daughter might be perfect and wouldn't put her in such a difficult position.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:13 AM

I never gave my hairdresser gifts at Christmas. I figured I paid her for her service and that was sufficient. But you should give her what you're comfortable with. A lap quilt is a pretty expensive gift for someone you don't know very well. Maybe make one of the 10 minute table runners (tutorial on this site) for her if you're not comfortable giving the lap quilt?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 AM

Yes, I don't see where she was asking or expecting one. Why would she know how much they cost to make? An extra large tip would probably be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:24 AM

Unhappy

A gift is a gift. I don't think that giving her a quilt this year means you have to give her something "special" next year. I think you spoke about quilts and she said she didn't have one and you heard a longing in her voice (or something). A gift isn't a payment, a gift is a something you want to give (unless you have an awful family and HAVE to give an awful person a gift) :>) Sometimes an unexpected gift can be the start of a whole new line of kindness and love. She doesn't have to know the cost, she will realize the kindness, the love. I think your instinct was to give it to her and you should follow your instinct.

I'm giving a lap robe to a (not very good) housekeeper who is putting her life together after years on drugs. She's been clean a few years now and my daughter and the cleaning agency woman are working with her to improve her skills. She admired my quilts and she is getting one this Christmas. Not because she deserves it, but because there is something in her I admire and I want to give her a piece of love and encouragement. Mine is only $100 because I quilt my own (and I'm not very good), but that doesn't alter the "price" of the love given. Go with your first thought. You'll never be sorry!

Last edited by Sierra; 12-16-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 AM

Why are you talking money? Give her daughter a quilt and feel good about it.