Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: should I press now or wait

I am making my first bagello quilt and would like to know. Should I press each row that I join, and press after all rows are done, or press each row as I join them. I have started pressing each row, but, stopped. I read somewhere that you can over press, that is why I ask

Wow, I have never heard of over-pressing...over ironing is another story :roll: I have a Bargello to make and I never thought about over ironing. I would think that if you can pin the seams the right direction without ironing them (they have those cool U shaped pins that will pin both sides of the seams down at the same time) I would go that route. I am interested in hearing from folks who have made Bargello quilts and what they did.

You'll never get all those seams to lie flat if you wait. Press as you go. No steam. Here's a pic of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    I read on a pattern not to press each row, but that is a royal pain to wait. I press each row as I go.

I've only made one Bargello quilt,but I did press as I went along.

Blog Entries
    I would distort my top if I waited to press it all at the end...
    It is too difficult to get the iron where you want it to go, and not stretch a seam here and there IMHO

Blog Entries
    I pressed as I went. The problem I ran into was that the directions called for hanging the strips on the quilt wall while figuring out your pattern. I later discovered that this apparently seemed to stretch the lines so I had trouble lining up the rows when I was sewing them down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I would distort my top if I waited to press it all at the end...
    It is too difficult to get the iron where you want it to go, and not stretch a seam here and there IMHO
    And the seam allowances will be all cockeyed. Some will get pressed to the right, some to the left, some open -- all in the same row! It drives me bonkers!!! :x My advice is to press as you go!! :lol: