Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
should I stop using this thread? >

should I stop using this thread?

should I stop using this thread?

Old 08-25-2012, 04:43 PM

This reminds me of my Viking dealer--she said that if I used NEBS prewounds that I should rewind them--does that make sense???? Viking's website approves the NEBS prewounds. Of course, she would have liked me to buy Robison Anton's prewounds.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by josieh View Post
I recently purchased a Bernina sewing machine. When I went for lessons on how to use all the special stitches, the woman there told me not to use the thread I had in the machine. I use Essential Thread which I purchase from Connecting Threads. She said that the thread is not wound on the bobbin correctly and that the tension would not be correct. I have been using this thread for a few years on my Brother sewing machine and it seems to be okay. Has anyone had problems with this thread? Should I ignore what she said and continue to use it? I have a lot of spools of it because I don't have a store near me where I can buy thread. Thanks.
I think she is saying not to use just that thread that is in that bobbin. I think the thread is ok to use, just not the stuff on that one bobbin.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
For the first year my Bernina acted up horribly. Finally I bought Gutermann cone thread for top threading and now my machines purrs. I only wind my own thread. I'm too afraid to try pre-wound bobbins. My machine is very picky when in comes to thread. When I have the right thread in it, it makes all the difference in the world. And I can't use spools, I have to use cones for some reason. But I'm just happy I finally figured it out and it's working great!
I have used the pre-wound bobbins on my Kenmore but not on my Viking. I know there are some made for Viking but since I'm not 100% sure which ones they are I don't use them. I bought the sidewinder and it can't wind them for Viking either because they go in the wrong direction. I figured it wasn't that hard to wind the bobbin myself. My machine is the Ruby and she's not picky about threads at all so I'm lucky at that. I just sit the large spools or cones in a cup on the table and she's happy.