Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I take it all apart? >

Should I take it all apart?

Should I take it all apart?

Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 PM

Ok, so a year or so ago, I made my first quilt. I cut purple and pick squares, had really bad seams and learned a lot! I put it together and turned it inside out (pillowcase method?). 6 months later, I finally decided to "quilt" it by SID. Well kind of SID. My rows were so off, there was no consistant ditch.

Now, I am thinking about taking it apart, fixing the bad seams, and binding it. But, I am not sure if I am ready to pull the plug. Or should I say, my seam ripper. Thats going to be hours of pulling stitches to get the sandwich apart.

I really like the quilt, but there are just so many things wrong with it. Not to mention the stain on the white strip of backing that makes me crazy every time I see it.

I would guess it would take me about 6 hours to pull the stitiches out. Should I do it?
Old 03-04-2010, 12:32 PM

If it were me, I would keep it as is so I can remember how far I'd come...Everyone has their first quilt. And NO first quilt is perfect :)
Old 03-04-2010, 12:34 PM

I agree....keep it as a loving reminder...
Old 03-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

We all have those first projectts that got us started and although not perfect they are the beginning of something great
Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 PM

unless you find it relaxing to rip out all the seams, i would leave it alone. i soooo wish i had my first quilt! I gave it away..
Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 PM

Pardon me? Isn't there another quilt that you'd like to make...at some point you've got to be done with that one and move on to the next...if you recognize that it could be better then get started on the quilt that will be better.
Good luck!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:52 PM

Cminor, I agree with most of the ladies here. Keep it the way it is and go on to the next project. It might make a very good reference some day for how it was made.

Happy quilting! :D
Old 03-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
unless you find it relaxing to rip out all the seams, i would leave it alone. i soooo wish i had my first quilt! I gave it away..
Even though I gave my first quilt to my daughter I so wish I had it. The things I did wrong were many, but that isn't what matters. That first quilt, I even left one pin in that bloodied the quilt when I poked myself. So there is a darned hole in it where I rescued my pin. But I'll tell you it was a great quilt.

The stain like all the rest of the booboos are what makes it great.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Ok, ok, you are all right. I guess some day I will look back at that sorry little quilt and realize how far I have come. I do have another I have started already, but it is a bit boaring for me. I think that is why I am obsessing over the first one. I am doing a big huge quilt for our bedroom, which will be nice when it is done, and it is even all cut, but I have lost interest. I have been doing those little projects like in my profile picture so now just squares are a bit blah for me!

Maybe I will just work harder on that stain :)
Old 03-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cminor
I guess some day I will look back at that sorry little quilt and realize how far I have come.
That some day has already come and gone. Since you already notice how much differently you would do the quilt now. If it is really "that" bad, give it as a blanky to the dog or cat.