Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Should I teach my husband to quilt?

I think it would be great for your husband (but not for mine) He would probably 'show me up'.
    He can do everything and anything. And..he has a big wood shop,and plenty of other hobbies
    so I don't see that happening anyway. If I get stuck on something, jhe can always figure it out.
    Everybody needs to have something they like to do.

I agree with Dina. I think it would be wonderful if my husband was interested in quilting too. I say go for it!

I think it is great idea! I have also "planted" a bug in my husbands ear.

My daughter-in-law's mother AND father got intrigued by quilts on a fall New England trip to see the changing foliage colors. Now they BOTH quilt and fight over one sewing machine. LOL Go for it!
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Quote Originally Posted by polly13 View Post
    My husband took an interest in my cooking. He now rejects my suggestions for menus by saying, "I thought we might have..." I have happily let him take over the cooking so I can spend my time in my quilting room. I'm so happy he hasn't taken an interest in that. I'm afraid he would be underfoot.
    THIS is the hobby I want my husband to take an interest in...I suggested quilting...he said no. Then I said that I think doing menu planning and cooking would be the perfect hobby for him...he said no again - dang...
    Sherry

"Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be." Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries
    In my OWN person opinion I think it would be a great idea.
    Just set "boundries" on what he can and cannot use.

Take him on a "fabric" buying trip for his own stash (small to start with).

At this point I would LOVE to have SOMEONE (anyone including my hubs)
    to share my love of fabric and quilting with. But who know if that DID happen
    if I would like sharing or not.

I KNOW I would NEVER NEVER NEVER let him use my NEW baby. But I would
    let him use the other Brother emb/sewing machine.

Of course I say this because I KNOW my hubs would never in 100 years much
    less a million years say "yes" to learning how to quilt.

Heck I can't even get my daughter (I have 3) to get interested in quilting, much
    less sewing. The 2 oldest does crochet, and the youngest does latch hook (when
    she is not studying at college).
    Louise - I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world . Also collect homemade pincushions, and sewing/quilting themed fabrics.

QM
    My DH admires and appreciates my quilting but has not wanted to join in. I had hoped he would work on my guild's LA for me, as I can't. I agree with VickyS about pressuring and overpowering. Many men are great quilters, but not every DH even wants to quilt. Maybe he just wants to enjoy your company.

Jeanne
    I think it woul be an awesome idea to teach your husband how to quilt - just think about this, having a live in quilting buddy to sew and shop together with, bounce ideas off on, help finish your quilts, etc
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

I would love for my husband to be sitting at the next machine over - he is always so supportive of my quilting but thinks it's a 'girl thing'. His mom was an amazing dressmaker, so he can appreciate all that goes into our craft, but I don't think he's THAT interested in becoming more involved other than as 'my biggest fan'!

This is a fascinating thread!!! The answer really depends on your relationship. Some couples successfully work together in the same office and others value their personal time. As for me, I couldn't do it. The first step would be me teaching him and the next step would be him asking me to finish a project for him!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 LastLast