Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I upgrade my machine?

Blog Entries
    I just started doing fmq, and I am using my Viking #1+ machine. It is a little tight, it is only 7 1/2" throat space. I have been reading alot and searching alot of machines and I am confused. I am wondering if 1 1/2" would make enough of a difference to spend the money on a new machine? I would really appreciate your opinions. Should I keep the Viking and get either a Janome 1600P or Juki 98Q or 2010Q? Or should I sell my Viking and get a Janome 6600P? I like the looks of the Janome 7700 but it is out of my price range. Also I quilt on a table, not a frame. But I thought maybe down the road a gracie frame, don't know, I only have a 10x11 sewing room and it is packed. I do have a Singer 201 that I can do piecing on also. Any input you can give would be really helpful.

Linda

I did a queen on a DSM with 7 inches of throat space. I thought about upgrading to a larger machine but decided against it. I can make do. I know how my machine works and it works well. I don't make enough quilts to justify the cost.

I guess it depends on how often you quilt and how big your quilts are... is it worth the trouble and expense?

honey, i would love to have that much throat space.

I have a Gran Quilter by Pfaff with a 9" throat and 6" tall. It works great for quilting. My other fancier Paff on has a 6.5 throat and 4.5 high. I use to quilt on it but it was really hard maneuvering the quilt

I do FMQ on my dinky Brother mechanical which isn't very big at all. I once wrestled a king size through it but that was SITD. If I start in the middle and work out I can do a pretty big one. For me, I have found that "puddling" works better than rolling. Just my preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    I do FMQ on my dinky Brother mechanical which isn't very big at all. I once wrestled a king size through it but that was SITD. If I start in the middle and work out I can do a pretty big one. For me, I have found that "puddling" works better than rolling. Just my preference.

I have a brother cs6000i and not much throat space either....and I also puddle.....is way easier to maneuver than a big roll

I have never been able to master the rolls myself.

Blog Entries
    Can you tell me how far or how long can you quilt with l bobbin? My machine has a concave bobbin and it only holds enough thread to do a 12 x 14 practice quilt. I went to a class on fmq and there were 2 other woman there, I had to change bobbins 5 times to their one bobbin. It was a real pain. That is one of the main reasons I am thinking of upgrading, otherwise I have never had a problem with my machine. Viking definitely screw up with the bobbin on the #1+.

Well ya'll aren't gonna believe this---but a few years ago, before I knew better---I did a stitch in the ditch king size quilt on a Featherweight. Y'all know how much throat space is on those.

Sibyl

If you have conquered FMQ on your Viking on smaller pieces, can you try to make it easier to quilt with it before buying a new machine? When I took the time to make a workable extension covered with slippery vinyl for my sewing cabinet, I had much less struggle with the quilt. I tried both my vintage Bernina 830 Record and Singer 15-91 this way, and ended up preferring the Bernina because it has easier bobbin access.

If I end up buying a new machine for quilting I think I would go with a straight stitch machine like the Babylock Jane or a Juki 2010Q so I could get better lighting, needle down, and thread cutting.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast