Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Should I wash runners?

Should I wash runners?

I have always hesitated to wash the table runners I make. Is it normal procedure to wash a runner once it is finished? I don't want to ruin them but wondering if I am skipping the final step in construction. Your help would be appreciated.

I have runners on all my bedroom furniture and my sofa table in my living room. I wash them right after I make them just like I do my quilts. There should be no reason they would get ruined. I do not pre-wash my fabric but I do use color catchers and have never had a problem with color running. I think it is really important if you use starch like I do. In my low humidity area so it probably doesn't matter about getting bugs from the starch but I want the table runner to be soft and wrinkled.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wash mine when they are done because I know I will wash them later. I look at table runners as a way of avoiding dusting. Just grab them all up and shove them in the wash.

Washing them is fine.

Go ahead and wash them. They may get dirty when used~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Power Poster
    It depends. Did you pre-wash the fabrics? Is your runner done with bright coloured fabrics surrounded by white of cream? If you didn't pre-wash then you might get some bleeding into the background.
    If you pre-washed, then I would wash it when needed and block flat to dry.

I wash mine (gentle wash) and dry it on a flat surface (with a large towel underneath).

I often use starch, so I always wash any quilted item when it's finished.

Washing a finished something is a personal preference. I do not prewashing fab,I do not starch when constructing,I do not wash after completion. Things in my world only get washed ( some machine, some by hand) when the thing: quilt, runner, placemat, whatever gets dirty.....I will air fluff things in dryer periodically...usually seasonally, with change,before storing or using.

I use fabric guard on mine (test on a scrap of each fabric first - most modern fabrics will handle with ease) before the first wash. Also use on matching placemat sets -- really helps with those little spots that occur at the table, and lasts for quite a few washings.