Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: should I wash these batiks?

I just saw a thread saying that batiks might bleed. I just started making this starflower quilt for my son and I don't normally pre-wash my fabric. I am using cream for the background so should I prewash the batiks just in case? Here is a pic of the block:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

YES!! I would definately was them before making the blocks. I would use some Retyne to soak them in and then wash. I do this with all batiks and am always amazed at how much color is in the water.

To answer your question..I really advise you to prewash your fabric. I know many members on the board rely on Color Catchers, and have good luck with them, but I always play it safe and prewash. I put too much time into making things to have it ruined by a bleeding fabric.

Beautiful block!!!

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Yep better to be safe than sorry after you put all the time and love into making the quilt..or make one block and wash it first to see how much it will bleed. Good luck!
    Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b

uuummm, I never pre-wash, even batiks (and batiks are what I use most), but I do buy the LQS quality batiks, cuz' I did have one from Joann's bleed (even after 3 - 4 washes). But i use retyne and a color catcher the first time I wash the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
    Yep better to be safe than sorry after you put all the time and love into making the quilt..or make one block and wash it first to see how much it will bleed. Good luck!
    ok thanks i think i'll wash one to see if it bleeds. :)

yes and treat it with retayne first.

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
    You don't have to wash the whole block to test. Just take a scrap of each color going to be used and soak it in hot water (I use almost boiling) then take the scraps and put them on a strip of white muslin. Fold the other end of the muslin over and mash down so the muslin is wet, too. Let it all dry and peel apart. Any fabrics that leave dye on the muslin should be treated or switched.

any dark or red batik, I pre wash, the others I rely on color catchers.

Blog Entries
    thanks for your tip

Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
    You don't have to wash the whole block to test. Just take a scrap of each color going to be used and soak it in hot water (I use almost boiling) then take the scraps and put them on a strip of white muslin. Fold the other end of the muslin over and mash down so the muslin is wet, too. Let it all dry and peel apart. Any fabrics that leave dye on the muslin should be treated or switched.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast