Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me a picture of what you think stipling should look like.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
    I know what stippling should look like, but I have a hard time getting mine to look like the pictures. Does anyone have any tips?
    I don't know if will help you but I hum YMCA to give myself shapes to aim for.

Blog Entries
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  1.10 MBHere is tiny stipple. I bet everyone would have their own spin. Like handwriting!

I have been wondering what folks meant when they said stippling....thanks for this thread. It looks hard. I think I will have to stick to SID.

Dina

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I don't do a lot of stippling these days so I really had to HUNT for this!! LOL* This is what I "like" my stippling to look like, but I'll be truthful, this one was just one of those days that everything meshed and it turned out consistent. That doesn't always happen. Quilting is as unique as handwriting. Don't stress over it!!! Also realize that everything gets better with practice! Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Valerie Smith - Pumpkin Patch Quilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

I know what stippling should look like, but I have a hard time getting mine to look like the pictures. Does anyone have any tips?
    I was told to think of the end of a dog bone and just keep doing that over and over...I practiced on paper and that helped my hand to start learning a pattern because my brain always wanted my hands to do straight lines....so after I doodled on paper for a while I think it helped me...and I kept that image of the end of a dog bone in my head
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

Do you see the Leah Day articles? check out her stipple tips! I think you draw a line and then stipple over it. More or less curvy...check out what she says!
    Bonitagaye...proud new Gramma

Blog Entries
    I always think of jig saw puzzle pieces while I'm doing my meandering. For me it's a lot of fun.

I had to use a dry erase board and just sit and "doodle" until I was comfortable doing it on the quilt.Its a "hand -brain_ eye coordination that you are trying to conquer.Try this out and see if it helps.Have a great day
    The man who speaks the truth is always at ease

Everyone has his/her own 'signature' stipple style. However, if you try to make a horseshoe shape each time before curving in another direction, you will soon get into the rhythm.I think consistency is what makes or breaks the look.

My biggest problem with any FMQ is not watching where I am going and 'paint myself in a corner or dead end'. Then I have to rip stitches. A neat tip is to watch ahead of your sewing machine- where you're going instead of where you are. And practice- lots.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast