Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Show me a picture of what you think stipling should look like. >

Show me a picture of what you think stipling should look like.

Show me a picture of what you think stipling should look like.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 AM

All of them look great to me. This is from someone that has never done it.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:35 AM

To cheerio. the birds' nests, etc. are a tension problem--my son's answer to that is to use the same thread for the bottom that you use for the top; do a sample run before you do your quilting; there is a certain way to put the bobbin in, try it out, let it hang from your hand and fall free (not so good at explaining here); try it and see what happens. If you still have questions, PM me, and I'll have Bryan try to explain it to you.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
This is a meander but you can go bigger.
Mine looks like this only a bit bigger. Maybe I'm just too critical of myself. The only difference is my stitches aren't an even width and these look alot more consistent. If I'm only using a regular sewing machine is that just how it is?
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by bonitagaye View Post
Do you see the Leah Day articles? check out her stipple tips! I think you draw a line and then stipple over it. More or less curvy...check out what she says!
I tried hers. And she has a great one where you follow a pattern that is in rows, but doesn't look like rows, that is unless I do it. Whoever said it is like different handwriting for each person is right. I do think that part of the problem with some if the Utube things like Leah Days tutorials is that they aren't trying to this with a regular sewing machine and they will have better results of course.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

I guess mine is meandering. Sorry

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
The "pure" definitation of stippling and meandering is in the size. Meandering is the larger shapes as shown in most of the examples above. Stippling is the same shapes but much much smaller shapes very packed together.
Many quilters will get a meandering stencil and mark a few times to get the rhythm of the design until it comes naturally to them. Meandering should give the impresson of no specific design but an all over coverage of the quilting
To some the motion comes easy, to others (like me) it is amost like trying to rub your head while rubbing your stomach. I find in class that many students try to create a specific pattern - such as frame but the designs hould move across the surface with no distinct pattern created but just to see an all over background fill.
One problem most have is "backing themselves into a corner" with no place to go especially in triangle areas. there is a good illustration of meandering in triangle areas in the book "Trapunto By Machine" by Hari Walner
Old 12-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

cherrio, why don't you post the link for the thread. It would be helpful. Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 12:10 PM

Gingerbread men, YMCA, dog bones, puzzle pieces - great ideas! These are helpful visual tips that I can definitely "get" - not being able to take classes or hangout with/talk to other quilters IRL is sometimes a bummer. Another reason why I love this board!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Mine looks like this only a bit bigger. Maybe I'm just too critical of myself. The only difference is my stitches aren't an even width and these look alot more consistent. If I'm only using a regular sewing machine is that just how it is?
I have a Bernina with a stitch regulator so a consistant stitch length on our domestic sewing machine without one takes lots of practice.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
This is some of the stippling I have done on my Singer Featherweight. What I have in mind when I am doing FMQ stippling is thinking about puzzle pieces. It works for me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]381067[/ATTACH]
I don't quilt, I only piece, but I just wanted to tell you this is a beautiful table topper! Everything about it says "gorgeous". The colors pop, and your work is excellent...the stippling is flawless!!! I would pay big bucks for that!!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I tried hers. And she has a great one where you follow a pattern that is in rows, but doesn't look like rows, that is unless I do it. Whoever said it is like different handwriting for each person is right. I do think that part of the problem with some if the Utube things like Leah Days tutorials is that they aren't trying to this with a regular sewing machine and they will have better results of course.
I have watched Leah Day tutorial on stippling. Still could not get it to look right. Looks like there are skipped stitches. I ordered the $50 Ultilmate Quiltilng Kit (Supreme Slider, bobbin washers & quilting gloves) to see if this will help. Can't wait to receive it in the mail.

This is a picture of my stippling, don't know if you can see it good enough.
Attached Thumbnails mardi-gras-wall-hanging-close-up_100_1778.jpg