Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Show me a picture of what you think stipling should look like. >

Show me a picture of what you think stipling should look like.

Show me a picture of what you think stipling should look like.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:28 AM

What a funny Mardi Gras lobster quilt! The beads look 3D.......possibly added later? Great job!

Aside comment....I broke 9 Organ needles yesterday trying to FMQ...Finally slowed down, and it was better, but would take a month of Sundays to free motion anything...plus the bottom stitching looks like it just lays there , while the front stiching is really nice on my Juki...It will be awhile til I waste that much time again, I'm afraid. It will remain just SITD...
Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 AM

PS.I have the small slider and it works great...You will enjoy the whole kit, I'm sure...
Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I do what I call a large stipple. I love doing it and I love the look. As long as I like it that is all that matters to me.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM

This was one of the hardest things for me to learn on my longarm ... I finally figured out that I'm a loopy loo kind of gal -- I like being able to cross the lines and I even have graduated to hearts and stars every once in awhile. I did a polyester trip around the world quilt recently where I put freezer paper over the top of the quilt (once it was loaded onto the longarm) and using a sharpie I drew my meandering lines onto the freezer paper. I had to do it several times before I got a design I was happy with. Once I did that, I put it on the back table so I could follow it like a pantograph - it turned out pretty good - even if I do say so myself. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2 View Post
Here's one I did.
Beautiul piece!
Old 12-21-2012, 03:52 PM

I try to remember that I quilt with my face close to the fabric..but when its viewed by others, they are looking at the overall effect. I do quilt some for others. I do not have a computer on my long arm. I KNOW I make mistakes, so I tell my customers If you can FIND it, I will fix it. I have not had one come back yet.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 PM

I'm not the greatest at it either but mine passes. Yours will get better with practice.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney View Post
I was told to think of the end of a dog bone and just keep doing that over and over...I practiced on paper and that helped my hand to start learning a pattern because my brain always wanted my hands to do straight lines....so after I doodled on paper for a while I think it helped me...and I kept that image of the end of a dog bone in my head
A gal in my guild, who has won ribbons in national shows said getting the moves down is a lot easier if you practice on paper, So I totally agree with this post
Old 12-21-2012, 05:10 PM

I have never done stippling ...do you use a frame when doing it ?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by NUBQ View Post
What a funny Mardi Gras lobster quilt! The beads look 3D.......possibly added later? Great job!

Aside comment....I broke 9 Organ needles yesterday trying to FMQ...Finally slowed down, and it was better, but would take a month of Sundays to free motion anything...plus the bottom stitching looks like it just lays there , while the front stiching is really nice on my Juki...It will be awhile til I waste that much time again, I'm afraid. It will remain just SITD...
I fill the same way also. The fabric and thread that is wasted trying to learn can add up. I decide to make pot holder and hot pads for the children to practice on. Anything I give them with what is suppose to look like stippling they are just thrilled to death just rubbing their hand over it.