Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Shrinking Cotton Batting

Shrinking Cotton Batting

Connecting Threads has their batting on sale, but before I purchase some I'd like to know how to shrink the cotton and cotton/polyester mix batting before using it. Won't the batting tear up if put in the washing machine and dryer? I always wash my fabric before using it. I don't care for the crinkled look that occurs when quilts are washed. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Janet
    Janet

Blog Entries
    I always pre-shrink my cotton batting. I also do not like the crinkled look. Read the instructions on the package the batting comes in and it will tell you if it can be pre-shrunk. Usually I just put it in the washer and fill it with water and let it soak. DO NOT AGITATE! After about 20 minutes you can drain and spin (gently). Then into the dryer. I use hot water and hot dryer because I want it to shrink as much as possible.

I soak my battings then spin out the water, then toss in the dyer. Do keep close eye on the batting in the dryer and reposition to prevent tangling/twisting. I do find preshrinking battings that do not have a scrim can be problematic as the scrim does help to keep the fibers intact and from turning into a big felted mess when preshrinking.

Power Poster
    I use Hobbs 80/20 batt and when I wash the quilt, I take it out of the dryer when still slightly damp and block it on my bedroom carpet until dry. It ends up looking just like new.

Blog Entries
    Should a wool batt be preshrunk?

Does anyone know what you'd do if you have an HE front loader?

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    I have a front loader as well so can't do the batting in mine. I have a friend who has a top loader & she soaks & spins the batting for me.

Afraid I can't help you because I don't pre-shrink my batting at all.