Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: SID

Blog Entries
    Ok I'm trying to SIS. Ivan do it on little piece I have a baby blanket is a panel with lg embroid butterfly's on it. Surrounding those r different pieces of fab sewed around. I sandwiched it pinned and basted! Looked fine. Started. SID and was ok for awhile. Then when I get to last row in square and had too much fabric On top ! Not a lot but would cause a pucker! Followed the seams manufactor did!! What am I doing wrong. Pls help. I really want to learn to do this! Want to do more than tie quilts!
    Thank you so much!!

saf
    Just going to start sewing my first SID this morning. Look forward to hearing solutions. Thanks for asking this. I'm sure you aren't the only one to have had this problem.

I seemed to have the same problem when I started quilting. A lady told me to start quilting from the middle and no matter what work from the middle to the outside. She said you would be tempted to go to the edge on one side before you got started on the other side. And I found out she was right and every time I would get puckers and little folds in my fabric. But if I followed her rule I didn't have any problems. Also I like to use spray basting.

Blog Entries
    Yep I had same problem, everytime I start qulting from the edge I get pukers, but if I start in the middle, no problems. It works girls you need to start in the middle and work outwards.

I had the same problem.

bj
    Are you using a walking foot? They help feed the layers thru more evenly.

It sounds like you are not doing anything wrong. A walking foot is REALLY needed to do any quilting like SID with the feed dogs up. Even with a walking foot you can get small puckers. You should also try releasing some of the downward pressure that the presser foot is putting on the sandwich. This will also help. The foot is holding back the top layer of the sandwich while the feed dogs are moving the bottom layer forward. Easing the pressure and using a walking foot will make a big improvement. Small puckers won't be very noticeable when the quilt is finished and washed. Don't panic; we've all done this. I did it on a baby quilt after doing many larger quilts.

You can SID without a walking foot. I do this all the time. Take some of the pressure off your foot. Keep your feed dogs up. You don't want the bottom to feed in on its own. Hold your right hand like I'm doing in the picture, It is curled up towards my chest. Guide with your left hand behind the pressure foot. If you see small puckers developing anyhow, lift the pressure foot with the needle down. Use your seam ripper or stiletto to push extra fabric ahead, without causing a pleat. PM me if you still need help. Send your phone # and I will call and try to walk you through it.
    Tonnie

Preventing an uneven feed
    Name:  Attachment-193272.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  23.2 KB