Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: SID

Blog Entries
    I find that I am using this more often than I would like... my issue is that I have trouble keeping it in the ditch... I use colored thread .. do not like using the clear one as these are quilts for babies and comfort... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... :oops: :cry:

I have quilted wavy lines over the seams instead of staight sid. I have done that on several small quilts and also on my raggy quilts for the X. May not be suitable for you tho.

I have used a decorative stitch -usually the one that looks like open leaves, or the feathers of the end of an arrow. I am fortunate to have a regular SID attachment - which has a longer guide that runs right in the ditch.

Lately I have been doing alot of a serpentine stitch on simple quilts, rather than SID. I use a varigated thread. It goes much faster and is far more forgiving . Look at your decorative stitches you may find a great alternative.

Blog Entries
    I know that there is one side of the ditch that is easier to stitch than the other; I can't remember which one, you can test it. I know that some people use a very small zig zag stitch so they say it doesn't show as badly if it's crooked or you can chose a stitch w/a wavy line to make it less noticable. Hope this helps

there is also a SID foot that has a blade down the middle to help you stay in the ditch; it spreads the seam open enough to allow it to work better. Have you tried pressing the seams really good first to make sure they are laying flat.

Blog Entries
    Get a SID foot for your machine! I purchased one a couple of months ago and I use it to attach the back of my bindings because I can't hand sew them. I will never do SID again without it! The stitching falls exactly where it should and looks wonderful! Here is a link for a Janome SID foot just because it is the machine I have. You can find all kinds of videos for the SID and other feet on youtube.com

http://www.janomespecials.com/mc11ks...ing-ditch.html

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I don't have the ability to change feet with my walking foot - which is most important ... walking or decorative?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    I don't have the ability to change feet with my walking foot - which is most important ... walking or decorative?
    If you have a Bernina, I just saw a video for a SID attachment for your walking foot. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2AK2lBY1aY

I use a walking foot when I am piecing my quilt tops (won't piece without it ever again!!!) but I change it out to the SID when doing my binding.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    If you have a Bernina, I just saw a video for a SID attachment for your walking foot. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2AK2lBY1aY

I use a walking foot when I am piecing my quilt tops (won't piece without it ever again!!!) but I change it out to the SID when doing my binding.
    That is going on the top of my Christmas wish list!:)

Viking has a walking SID foot . Not sure which machine you have , but many companies have this foot. There may be a generic that can work.