Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Signature quilt HELP!!! >

Signature quilt HELP!!!

Signature quilt HELP!!!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 AM

I'm making a quilt for my mother to take to a family reunion to get signatures on. After we get the signatures I will be finishing the quilt to be raffled off next year to help with raising money for the next reunion.

Here's the dilema!

I live in IL and need to send the quilt to WY. I"m sending just the blocks for now, as we've decided to wait and let them see the finished quilt next year when it is raffled.

I need some suggestions as to how to ensure the blocks will surive multiple mailings, and also what to use to mark the signature area on the blocks that won't fade for 3-4 weeks!

thanks!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:17 AM

I'd be tempted to make the blocks larger than I really wanted, and to serge the edges of the blocks to keep them from fraying while being handled. You might also use a pencil or a water-soluable child's marker (NOT permanent, unless you want it to stay in permanently). Good luck, show us some pics of the blocks when you get them back!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I need some suggestions as to how to ensure the blocks will surive multiple mailings, .......... wouldn't you just lay them flat in a box, packed tight?

and also what to use to mark the signature area on the blocks that won't fade for 3-4 weeks! ............... the Pilot Frixion pens will not disappear until they are rubbed (friction/frixion) or the hot iron does the vanishing act. Plus they make a very nice fine line.

Starch the fabric up well, before cutting, and you'll have very minimal fraying. First check on a sample piece that the markers they will be using for their names work fine on the starched fabric. Likewise for your edge marker and when pressing after. I'm sure there'll be no problems, but better to check now, than later discover a problem.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:45 AM

One suggestion offered to me after getting back blocks that were signed too close to the margins is to use the blue painter's tape to mark the quilt.

Are you sending all the blocks in a group to be passed from person to person or sending to individuals? I would package the blocks in plastic bags and possibly put some cardboard in to stiffen the envelope.

Send some Pigma Micron pens along so that they get signed with the right pens. There are a couple signatures on the school signature quilt that I really question what pen was used (I traced over the questionable ones with a pigma pen so that if the child's signature fades, their name will still be there).

My signature quilt project is prominently featured in my blog right now.

http://quiltingcorgis.blogspot.com/

Cheers, K
Old 08-01-2011, 06:48 AM

Why make the blocks or the quilt first?

Why not make the portions that need the signatures .... use washed tone on tone pale material [prewashed without any additives like softener and ironed] with something like freezer paper ironed on the back and make template to put over this so that the signatures are well within the seam allowances. You could use plain file folders with the area for signatures cut out ... making this template the same size as the material to be written on. Then provide written instructions so you mother can enlist the aid of others in getting all the signatures. Either provide the pens or have your mother buy them to take with her.

This has many advantages. Less bulk to transport. No real errors on the finished quilt since if someone does make a 'boo boo' they can simply try again on another piece of signature fabric. Also, You could send fabric to those folks who cannot make it to the reunion due to illness or other problems, so they are also included.

That give you plenty of time to think of how to make the quilt and quilt it.

I just made a little signature quiltlet using the square in a square method ... the signatures were on the center of the square. The recipient loved it!

ali
Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 AM

When we made it for our school auction, I used Kona cotton and washed it and did not starch. I ironed on freezer paper cut a little smaller than the block and allowed each child to only draw on the freezer papered fabric, made it so much easier to maintain the seam allowance.

I would obtain a box where my pieces would lay flat if mailing to just one person.If mailing out individual blocks to each person I would fold it in quarters and include a note to please iron out creases before signing or fold it to where the signature area stayed flat. I would be sure to mail everything in baggies with a mailing address in it JIC.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by crochetetc
When we made it for our school auction, I used Kona cotton and washed it and did not starch. I ironed on freezer paper cut a little smaller than the block and allowed each child to only draw on the freezer papered fabric, made it so much easier to maintain the seam allowance.

I would obtain a box where my pieces would lay flat if mailing to just one person.If mailing out individual blocks to each person I would fold it in quarters and include a note to please iron out creases before signing or fold it to where the signature area stayed flat. I would be sure to mail everything in baggies with a mailing address in it JIC.
I did have one class that signed ON the freezer paper when I did this. I ended up rigging a lightbox and tracing their names onto the correct side as I picked up the blocks on the last day of school. May need to write "sign other side" on the freezer paper just to be sure...

Cheers, K
Old 08-01-2011, 10:17 AM

I would back each block with freezer paper at least half inch shorter than the block all the way around it. That will make the block stable for signing. You could zig zag around the block to keep it from fraying. Although, if you use a high grade of fabric, this shouldn't be a problem. Also be sure to use a pigma micro pen for the signatures.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks for all the help great suggestions here.

I'm making the blocks up first as it's a pieced block they are going to be signing on. Figured I could account for some of the seams if they are already sewed! I'll have to get some freezer paper to iron them onto that would be perfect to show where and how big of an area they have to sign on!

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

I don't know if pens do well on starched fabric. i know it's best if you dont' use fabric softener if you wash the fabric before making it into quilt blocks.
freezer paper ironed onto the back of the blocks will help keep them stable and good for signing.
Micron pigma pens size .05 are good. i heat set siggys too just to be sure. I' ve also used jelly roll pens. they must be fabric safe and permanent.
wrap your blocks with cling wrap or put in zip lock bags. not bags that have that thick zipper thing though. not good for mailing.