Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Signature quilt - recommendations needed >

Signature quilt - recommendations needed

Signature quilt - recommendations needed

Old 05-11-2011, 12:35 PM

I'm piecing a quilt for our school nurse who was recently diagnosed with stage three ovarian cancer.

Once pieced, the plan is to bring it to school for the kids to each sign a block or on one of the sashing strips.

What are the best pens to use for this? The quilt will need to be washed.

Will the Pigma pens hold up over time (I understand that the signatures should be ironed to set them)? Or are there better pens out there?

Thanks, K
Old 05-11-2011, 12:36 PM

Will be watching everyone's answer to this question
Old 05-11-2011, 12:39 PM

I have a similar plan for my sisters wedding! She wants a wall hanging instead of a guest book because its a small wedding and she wants to have something she can look at all the time instead of just occasionally.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:41 PM

It's easier if you iron freezer paper under the sections to be signed. The ink will flow easier. Sigma pens will hold up over time if not washed often. (Use a medium point pen, not the fine tip as the singature is fainter with the rfine tip) Kids quilts from age 13 (over 15 years ago) are still going strong. Can't respond to other pens. Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the freezer paper tip. I'll do a test run one one of the blocks.

Cheers, K
Old 05-11-2011, 04:41 PM

I like Pigma, wide point to leave a dark mark. I used to sign the backs of my quilts with my name anddate made. The quilt on our bed now was finished in 1989 and my Pigma signature is still legible!

Just another note-- most kids print these days. Cursive writing is a dying art. Dont be surprised if they print their names.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:47 PM

haven't done a signature quilt myself but I've seen signature blocks embroidered over the original writing to ensure they are permanent -- lots of work. I also saw a quilt locally where the lady had people sign/write on regular paper and then she copied it onto the special computer printer fabric. I would think that method would only be as stable as a permanent pen. Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:47 PM

It is a good idea to heat set the signatures with an iron and that will help the Pigma become more permanent and resistant to laundry soap. What you are doing is a great kindness and many blessings to you for doing this. I am picking out fabric now for a chemo quilt for the mother of a man that works at the local food bank. He doesn't know I am doing it. It will be done and given for him to take to her when he travels to visit her in about 3 weeks.

My Corgi, Bogey, looks just like yours. Love those Corgi's.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
I like Pigma, wide point to leave a dark mark. I used to sign the backs of my quilts with my name anddate made. The quilt on our bed now was finished in 1989 and my Pigma signature is still legible!

Just another note-- most kids print these days. Cursive writing is a dying art. Dont be surprised if they print their names.
I'm totally okay with them printing - more chance that the names will be readable. These are elementary school kids.

Cheers, K
Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

Pigma pens are the absoulute best pens for signature blocks. I like the .05 size. They are truly permanent.