Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Signature Quilt >

Signature Quilt

Signature Quilt

Old 05-28-2015, 10:53 AM

Default Signature Quilt

Hello All - I am thinking of making a signature quilt for my son's graduation party so that people can sign it and add well wishes, sort of like a guest book. Has anyone here made anything like this? I have searched and got good ideas as far as what style blocks to make but my question is how do you think is best for the guest to sign? I have seen pics of the entire quilt top done and the guest sign a block on the quilt and I have seen just Quilt Blocks on a table and the guest sign the individual blocks. The signed blocks are sewn into a quilt afterwards. Also what is the best writing pen or marker to use? Also when signing should there be something on the back side so that it is easier to sign? Any input, ideas or advice is gladly appreciated. The party is right around the corner on June 28th. Thanks!

Sincerely
Bernice
Old 05-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

i like this block/layout as a signature block. http://www.quiltinaday.com/community...27&topic=21771
I have a pigma pen that does not smear or fade. i've seen suggestions on the QB to put the signature fabric on sandpaper or iron on freezer paper to keep it from slipping. you might want to mask the signature area to keep folks from writing in the entire fabric space
Old 05-28-2015, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

I would prep all the blocks too be signed individually. Best pen I used were Pigma pens. Make extra blocks because someone always makes a mistake.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Rather than make the blocks first, I would just have the guests sign rectangles of fabric (pressed to freezer paper with the edges masked off) and make the blocks after signing. That way you're not making extra blocks that get thrown away, and you can decide on the exact blocks and fabrics to use after you know how many guests signed.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:05 PM

I made a baby shower one and I was making a small ship with sails. The ship part is the one that was signed. I did not tape it off and some wrote into the seam allowance. You could use the same method but make the ship bigger.
Another idea is to make the snowball, that way there is more area to use for signing, and make it big enough that the family can sign and make a special block for him. Maybe use the school colors. Happy quilting.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:49 PM

I saw a quilt using label fabric. The guests signed each label. It was all one piece and you didn't have to worry about someone writing on the outside of the area. Looked good. (Can't remember where I saw it, or I would link it. Sorry.)
Old 05-29-2015, 02:20 AM

My son's wedding was this past weekend and I made 3-inch paper pieced blocks ahead of time to be signed at the wedding in place of traditional guest book. I left the paper in for stability. Worked out really well. No one messed up! Everyone followed directions! I used pigma pen in the .5 size. I added washable marker lines that the signatures were supposed to stay within. Everyone did it right! No issues.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 05-29-2015, 02:49 AM

This is how they were displayed after they were signed at wedding.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 05-29-2015, 04:47 PM

I took a manilla file folder and cut it the size of the unfinished fabric used for signing. Then I cut out the area to be used for signatures. On the inner back you can use a Sharpie to draw a baseline for those who need it. The just place the fabric into the adjusted file folder.
I found it is easiest if there is a one on one for the signatures: the designated helper with the Pigma pen and then the signee. Otherwise it can get messy and your pens can somehow walk off.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:11 AM

I do signature quilt wallhangings for all kinds of occasions. I've done 21 of them. Sometimes, it's the pic of the person, sometimes it's the pic of everyone who came to celebrate. Depends on what the recipient wants. For babies, I do it for the baby shower. I add the pics after the fact.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521038[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails patrick-going-away-signature-quilt.jpg