Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: The Silhouette Cameo Cutter

Blog Entries

The Silhouette Cameo Cutter

Does anyone have a Silhouette Cameo Cutter? I have one ordered to use to cut fabric for appliques. I was wondering if anyone has one and what you think about it.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

My husband got me one for Christmas. He was thinking I could use it in my quilting. So far, I've not use it for quilting but am learning how to use the program. My daughter is getting married in May so I am going to use it for making some of the decorations. I think it will work fine for appliques.

I love my Cameo. I use it for cutting applique shapes for machine embroidery designs. I made a Happy Daisy quilt after seeing one here on the board. I applied Heat N Bond Lite to the back of the fabric before cutting it. I created the embroidery design from the single leaf shape. Here is a great tutorial on how to get the machine embroidery design shape into the Cameo
    http://terrijohnsoncreates.com/2012/...lique-designs/
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Don't have one but I am getting the scan n cut by brother. I hear it is a little better for fabric than the cameo, but it does cost more, but also has quilt block pieces built into the machine. I haven't purchased mine yet, but I am very excvited to get one
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B. View Post
    My husband got me one for Christmas. He was thinking I could use it in my quilting. So far, I've not use it for quilting but am learning how to use the program. My daughter is getting married in May so I am going to use it for making some of the decorations. I think it will work fine for appliques.
    Wow, thanks for sharing this! I have a cameo, but have only used it for paper projects so far. I'll definitely be trying fabric now!

Blog Entries
    Thanks alikigirl for the info. I can't wait for mine to come.

Kristi.G, There are a lot of you tube video to show the shilhouette cameo cutting fabric.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Blog Entries
    I have the silhouette sd. I love it but haven't used it for fabric very much. I've seen a lot of tutorials here:
    http://www.underacherrytree.com
    they're for paper but they can show you how to use the software.

I quoted the wrong post. Oops. I was actually responding to the one with the tutorial for using the software to create a cutting outline for matching appliques pieces. But thanks!

The Silhouette and Brother look like a great idea, I'm hoping the prices come down soon.

Blog Entries
    The cameo goes on sale at amazon from time to time. Sometimes quite a bit. I think it was around $185 last holiday season. The brother is brand new so the most I've seen it discounted so far is $10 off.

I think I'm going to save for the klick and kut zing air. It's wireless and can cut fabric and also heavy cardboard.