Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Silk batting? >

Silk batting?

Silk batting?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:41 PM

Its like running a hot knife through butter... just a absolute dream for handquilting.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 AM

Bamboo is an easy renewable resource but all the things they had to do to it to make it into batting, makes it actually a rayon and the process is terrible for the environment. Should google it and see what it says.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:19 AM
Power Poster

i don't understand the comment about silk deteriorating- since there are silk garments (quilted garments) in museums that are literally thousands of years old-
silk is stronger than cotton

the dream silk batting from the dream company is a wonderful batting- it drapes beautifully- feels so (silky soft) when working with it- needles wonderfully...is a dream
all of the batts from the dream company are a joy to work with- the dream orient (which is a silk/bamboo blend) is really great- dream wool (my favorite) the dream green, dream poly and yes even dream cotton are all great batts to use. just follow the recommendations on the package for quilting distances, and care instructions and you will not be disappointed.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:28 AM

Bamboo takes so much processing it is neither eco-friendly nor a natural fiber. After everything they have to do to it, its basically rayon.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 AM

I love silk batting. It is light in weight. I can machine quilt a king size quilt on a Bernina with out aching sholder and arms from moving quilt around. Silk is easier to stuff through the machine. Also, it is lighter on the bed.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by bsquilter View Post
I love silk batting. It is light in weight. I can machine quilt a king size quilt on a Bernina with out aching sholder and arms from moving quilt around. Silk is easier to stuff through the machine. Also, it is lighter on the bed.
That is my next question, how does it perform on a domestic sewing machine? I would be concerned that it would be too slippery and not adhere well to the fabrics in the sandwich. I pin baste, does that work? I will give it a try, it sounds lovely!
Old 12-16-2011, 05:11 PM

I was lucky to buy two huge silk filled comforters in China. We watched them spread the silk fibers and then encase thewhole thing in a cotton outer comforter cover. I got the king size one to take it apart and use the 6 pounds of silk for quilts but hasnt happened yet. We love to sleep under the silk. It does not settle into piles like down but stays in place and is light and warm.