Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Silk Batting >

Silk Batting

Silk Batting

Old 03-17-2014, 06:37 PM

Default Silk Batting

Always lots of chat here on cotton, wool and poly battings. Also remember reading about bamboo. Has anyone used silk batting? I see where Hobbs makes it and CT carries it. Can anyone share their thoughts and experiences? Thanks and Happy St. Paddys Day.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

I bought one but haven't used it. The directions say it needs to be hand washed, so I'm waiting to use it on a quilt that deserves - or needs - hand washing. So far none of them do.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:53 PM

I wanted to use silk batting on my son's wedding quilt but the cost was too much for me. I did ask if he would want to pay the extra for it ... I used W&N.

One day I will use it for a quilt for ME!!
Old 03-18-2014, 02:50 AM
Power Poster

Silk batting is oh so wonderful to work with! it is a very luxurious fiber- soft, silky, beautiful drape ~ oh so Expensive. one of those battings if you are making a fabulous quilt that will be gently used, taken care of as if it's a treasure from ancient Egypt, it is well worth the expense. Dream Orient is a blend that is part silk- that one is a bit more *affordable* and still has those fabulous Silk features ~ a nice way to try out using silk without such a large investment.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Silk batting is oh so wonderful to work with! it is a very luxurious fiber- soft, silky, beautiful drape ~ oh so Expensive. one of those battings if you are making a fabulous quilt that will be gently used, taken care of as if it's a treasure from ancient Egypt, it is well worth the expense. Dream Orient is a blend that is part silk- that one is a bit more *affordable* and still has those fabulous Silk features ~ a nice way to try out using silk without such a large investment.
Would it be good for hand quilting?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Silk is excellent for hand quilting. It was the favorite batting used by Roxanne McElroy, and she did only hand quilting. She passed around one of her quilts in a class, and it was indeed very soft and very luxurious. At the time she made quilts, silk batting was very expensive (the Hobbs was not available). I have heard that the Hobbs silk batting is fairly thin, so I wouldn't expect huge loft.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 AM

Thanks everyone for your input.