Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Silk thread for English Paper Piecing - good idea or a disaster waiting to happen?

Silk thread for English Paper Piecing - good idea or a disaster waiting to happen?

I need some advice please... I have embarked on an English Paper Piecing adventure and thought using silk thread would be a good idea as I'd heard people recommending it for applique for its ability to bury itself in the fibers of the fabric and become almost invisible. However, after having sewn a few hex's together I'm starting to second guess myself... Will the silk be strong enough or should I switch to regular sewing thread (cotton or poly)?

Well I don't have a clue but am interested in the outcome of this thread. Sorry I can't help.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    silk thread is stronger than cotton thread. here is a good explanation of different types of threads http://www.askpennyhalgren.com/IKM/q...ting+thread%3F
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

I do a lot of English paper piecing quilts, I like to have something on the go to do on my machine and something which I can do infront of the tv and English piecing is perfect for that. I always use poly cotton thread for actually piecing and Isacord when I'm FMQ my quilts and I've not had a quilt fall to pieces yet.
    Old enough to know, young enough to learn.

Blog Entries
    If cost is a factor, I use silk for appliqué and discovered Superior Threads Bottom Line for EPP. You can buy it on prewound bobbins in a variety of colors for compact travel. It hides like silk and doesn't shred like other cottons and polys that i have tried BTW - I use a size 11 needle with it.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

I use regular Mettler for EPP and it's always worked fine.
    Nothing's a mistake. It's a learning experience. Some experiences, you learn more than others.

Blog Entries
    silk thread is extremely stong

Thanks all, I think I'll continue with the silk then :-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    if you have silk use it...if you need to buy, get some YLI 60wt cotton bobbin thread..!