Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: silk thread

Blog Entries
    Do you use silk thread because it is stronger or because it blends in better?

I use it for both reasons plus I just like the way it feels and glides through the fabric. It is also easier to thread in a very small eye in an applique needle than the cotton thread.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by judykay
    Because it totally disappears into the fabric. Which means my sometimes crappy stitching isn't visible. ;-)

The 100 weight is really incredible - I could use white on black fabric and you wouldn't even see it.

Worth every penny.

both reasons, it is just a joy to work with, smooth, thin 'blendable' i just love working with silk threads :thumbup:

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Amen!!!

Jan in VA
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by judykay
    Because it totally disappears into the fabric. Which means my sometimes crappy stitching isn't visible. ;-)

The 100 weight is really incredible - I could use white on black fabric and you wouldn't even see it.

Worth every penny.

Blog Entries
    I use it a lot when machine quilting. It makes my fmq look like I know what I'm doing. No mistakes show that much at all. Silk thread and wool batting and your first attempt at FMQ will look fantastic. When I find a sale I buy it. It's all I use for hand applique.

I just used silk for hand applique for the first time and I LOVE IT. Yes it totally disappears and is very nice to work with. I have yet to try it in machine quilting. Reknowned domestic machine quilter, Diane Gaudinski mentions it a lot in her books and she writes how she loves to use silk for quilting. Her results are fantastic.

I use it because it blends in and I don't have to have a lot of colors around. Which makes it relatively inexpensive, even though the spools cost more than cotton.

I use mostly neutrals and black.

Banned
    I use it for hand applique. It just sinks into the background.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    both reasons, it is just a joy to work with, smooth, thin 'blendable' i just love working with silk threads :thumbup:
    completely agree

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast