Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: silk wall hanging help

silk wall hanging help

Hi - I'm making a silk wall hanging with a few batiks, as a wedding gift. I'd like to bind it with the silk, but I am thinking I should maybe starch the silk ahead of time since I like doing machine bindings (but I might do a more traditional binding for this one.) ANYWAY, I don't think you can starch silk, but has anyone done it with success for things like this?
    Thanks. Jil

Power Poster
    Try a little sample and see if it leaves water/starch marks on the sample. If it doesn't I don't see why you couldn't use it but it might make it extra tasty to moths? I know moths don't like synthetic fibers but they might like silk?

I made a scarf of silk scraps...and did a binding with silk which I did not starch...it worked fine for me...did the double fold, and used my walking foot.

Blog Entries
    Depends on what kind of silk you are using. Silk really varies from really thin, to pretty thick. Also, I would look at how much the silk you chose ravels, as this varies also, but on the whole silk does ravel easily. I would try binding a scrap and see if it works. If not, I would use a light weight stablizer that you can set with low temperature. I wouldn't starch because you are likely to get spots on the the silk.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings