Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Simple Snowball Block, help!!!

The quilt for toddler grandson - 4" squares of 15 different sports theme fabrics (really cute). Want to do the "snowball" block, but I dread cutting and sewing a million triangles to the corners of each block. Is there a simple, quick method that I'm missing?
    One of the things I love about this board is that someone is always offering a simpler way to do an already easy quilting task. I love this block and have used it many times, buit never had to cut this many, I can see myself getting bored:>).
    Is there an easy way or do I just break out the chocolates and "go for it"???

Instead of cutting the corners, do a 10 minute block. You will still have the snowball affect, without the fabric waste. Just do the search at the top of the page and you will find some samples as well as how to do it.

Rather than sew triangles to the corners, I'd sew squares and the cut the 1/4" seam. Saves on the stretch that can happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa
    Rather than sew triangles to the corners, I'd sew squares and the cut the 1/4" seam. Saves on the stretch that can happen!
    This is how I would do it. Before you cut the remaining triangle off though, do another seam 1/2" from the original seam and slice. Then you already have a small HST to use for something. :)

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    This is how I would do it. Before you cut the remaining triangle off though, do another seam 1/2" from the original seam and slice. Then you already have a small HST to use for something. :)
    VERY good idea! I've saved triangles in the hopes of using them someday. This will save a lot of sewing later!

That's what I did for my snowball...used the HST in the border.

Makes the I Spy game even more fun. Trying to find big squares that match little squares.
    Name:  Attachment-259010.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  80.7 KB

Blog Entries
    Cut a square the size of the straight edge of the triangle, draw a diagonal line on it from corner to corner. Do a stack all at once. Put the square evenly on a corner, sew on the line. Do these the strip method. It goes much faster and cuts down on thread ends. Go back and sew the extra 1/2 inch from the seam so you have the extra little HSTs, if you wish. Cut between the stitching and press.

Does anyone want a stack of litle HSTs in blue with red and white stars and a white solid? The print has some poly and is not soft, but it worked up well in a small amount.

Blog Entries
    love your snowball quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty

Luv this idea!

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    Fun quilt, and great idea about using the border blocks for more I-Spy games.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast