Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Simplicity bias tape maker and strip cutter >

Simplicity bias tape maker and strip cutter

Simplicity bias tape maker and strip cutter

Old 11-13-2010, 05:00 PM

Been thinking of purchasing these items due to very painful thumbs. Does anyone have one and do you like it?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

The strip cutter has NOT got good reviews here, but the bias tape maker has had better ones :D:D:D

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....+cutter&u=&s=0
Old 11-13-2010, 08:31 PM

We recently purchased the bias tape maker. We haven't tried the strip cutter. We got the model that feeds the strip of bias fabric, folds and presses it. It is 10x faster than folding and pressing manually. You still have to cut and piece your strips. It will make up to 12 feet per pass through the gizmo. I haven't tried it with straight grain fabric yet, but it will probably work the same. If you're doing a lot of binding, it is worth the $$.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:33 PM

I own the bias tape marker And I just love it. Bought it last April when Joann's had them at $30 off. Joann's is always marking them on sale, so couldn't use any 40% coupons :-(

We make graduation sashes twice a year for some local sororities/fraternities & college clubs and we make about 300+ yards of bias tape strips each season. It did take a little to figure out the best technique to use, since our bias strips are cut from satin. And satin melts if too much heat is applied. But for cotton, it is super simple to use. I know that now you can buy separate widths for the tape makers. And that is a very nice feature. We use the widest tape maker and then fold the strips in half again. Absolutely worth the cost. We are going to buy another one for Christmas also. Contact me privately if you wanna chat and I will be happy to call you. Huggles Jonell
Old 11-13-2010, 09:12 PM

I have some metal * thingies* I cut my strips and then pull the fabric thru the " thingies* and iron it as it ocme out and it makes the perfect bindings... ( somes in 3 different wideths....... I love it.. easy/manual/lo-tech....
Old 11-13-2010, 10:13 PM

The bias tape maker I love. Worth the money to me, makes quick work of bindings. Its one of those things you don't use much but when you do you're glad you have it. I recently used it to make the vine for an applique. I bought all my extra sizes at joanns on sale, they have them on sale often.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:26 PM

I had the strip cutter. I first thought it was good but after the second try I realized it makes wavy cuts. As in if you don't feed it in perfectly straight you don't get straight cuts. I sent mine back. :thumbdown:
Old 11-19-2010, 04:39 PM

Thank you for all your comments I have been so busy that I had to look for this post. Bias tape maker wins hands down jury still out on cutter.