Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer 128 should I buy it? >

Singer 128 should I buy it?

Singer 128 should I buy it?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Found a Singer centennial 128 - asking price $75, could probably get it for less. Will be checking it out this afternoon & see condition, attachments, case, etc.
I don't need it - have newer machines, plus a Singer 201-2, and a 66 'Red Eye' treadle.
Just wondering if I should pick it up anyway. I've not used a machine with shuttle bobbin before. I can buy bobbins reasonably on ebay.
What do you QB folks think?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:00 PM

BTW, would love to hear if any of you have/use this model - is it a dependable oldie or difficult to use?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:02 PM

It's a great little machine and sews very smoothly. It is 3/4 size and weighs 29 pounds. I think 1952 blackside one will make a great boat anchor when her sewing career is over. I paid $35. I really like the shape of mine, though she is plain. Such a cute machine.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:03 PM

I don't know anything about this type of machine but always like to look at the posts so that when I got tag sale shopping/ thrift store shopping, I know what I'm looking for! I would love to get a featherweight (sp?)

I hope that someone who knows more than me posts with some helpful info!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Thank you - was wondering about 'smoothness'. Had to laugh re: boat anchor - could say that about my 201-2 as well. LOL
Old 05-19-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabethann
I don't know anything about this type of machine but always like to look at the posts so that when I got tag sale shopping/ thrift store shopping, I know what I'm looking for! I would love to get a featherweight (sp?)

I hope that someone who knows more than me posts with some helpful info!
Yes, I was hoping for a featherweight too - not so lucky this time.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:26 PM

I have a little 1910 Singer 28K2 hand crank machine (essentially the same model) that is a good piecing machine. I’ve done several quilt blocks with it. I like the sound of the long bobbin machines when they sew. The needlebar does a sort of “double dip” to make a stitch, instead of just going straight up and down.

It also rides on our little parade buggy that I made out of a mobility scooter chassis that has a “cabinet” mounted on it made out of plywood and deck railing (legs). I hide under the cabinet behind black cloth curtains to operate it. I still need to rig up a way to motorize it so it’s operating while I’m going down the street.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-19-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
I have a little 1910 Singer 28K2 hand crank machine (essentially the same model) that is a good piecing machine. I’ve done several quilt blocks with it. I like the sound of the long bobbin machines when they sew. The needlebar does a sort of “double dip” to make a stitch, instead of just going straight up and down.

It also rides on our little parade buggy that I made out of a mobility scooter chassis that has a “cabinet” mounted on it made out of plywood and deck railing (legs). I hide under the cabinet behind black cloth curtains to operate it. I still need to rig up a way to motorize it so it’s operating while I’m going down the street.

CD in Oklahoma
Thanks for the info. Your parade buggy sounds too cute! I imagine folks will be surprised to see the sewing machine in motion without a visible operator.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:05 PM

So did you buy it? :)

I've had two 28/128 hand cranks and I still have a 128 treadle - these are smaller versions of the 27/127 and they use the same shuttles, bobbins and needles as the full-sized machine.

Some people are crazy about quilting on their vibrating shuttle machines - I read a post recently from a lady who prefers to do her FMQ with her 27 over her 15. This seems inconceivable to me because I'm so insane for my 15's, but I do intend to pull out the 128 and the 27 sometime soon and give them a good try because of her letter. :)
Old 05-19-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by montanajan
Found a Singer centennial 128 - asking price $75, could probably get it for less. Will be checking it out this afternoon & see condition, attachments, case, etc.
I don't need it - have newer machines, plus a Singer 201-2, and a 66 'Red Eye' treadle.
Just wondering if I should pick it up anyway. I've not used a machine with shuttle bobbin before. I can buy bobbins reasonably on ebay.
What do you QB folks think?
Well, I went to see the machine - decided not to buy it. The sewing machine was NOT a Singer 128 as the owner thought. . It is instead a model 66 centenial with the plain not shiny finish. It is in excellent condition, but I already have a 66 treadle, like what I have & at this time don't want to buy another of the same model.

However, I found an old Japanese made turquoise blue ST Deluxe Precision Belvedere machine in a cabinet with cord & foot pedal in good condition for $35.00 at local Goodwill. I checked w/ DIL who is just beginning to sew (we recovered couch for her 1st project) & I'll be picking it up tomorrow for her - now I want to learn a bit about it - will check with Billy.
My thanks for those who commented - will post pic of new machine soon.