Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Singer 15-91 - FMQ question

  1. #1
    Senior Member DawnFurlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    368

    Singer 15-91 - FMQ question

    Okay, just saw a posting on Craig's List in my area for a Singer 15-91 in a sewing table ($100). I'll try to post pictures below. Just sent an email to see if it was still available, this seems like a good price (they indicate it comes with several feet, sews nicely - so sounds like it is in working order).

    Here's my question. I understand the feed dogs do drop on this machine. Can anyone tell me approximately how large the harp space is? Also - do you enjoy FMQing on this machine? Is it fairly easy to get the tension right to get going? Also - how does it work for doing things like stitching in the ditch (or cross-hatch work)? Are feet easy to find for this machine?

    I have to say that for stippling, right now I do that on my Janome 4800. And I find myself pedal to the metal, wishing for more speed - because I ultimately find it mind-numbingly boring to do a large area of meandering stitch. So am wanting a Brother PQ1500s (larger harp space, faster). However, after much reading on this forum, I find myself looking at these vintage machines. And - I saw my first FW in person last night. Loved, loved, loved it!! But am wondering at the speed factor for FMQing - and how that is on a 15-91. On the other hand - good indication that I need to branch out on my FMQing skills - and start trying some other patterns (which will slow me down).

    While I still want the Brother machine, this seems like a good price on this machine. If I get this machine, I am half hoping that I will so love it that I will no longer care about the Brother 1500 (or I will be content enough to put off that purchase for later in the year).
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 

  2. #2
    Super Member Havplenty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MO (the show me state)
    Posts
    2,869
    Blog Entries
    8
    i paid considerably less for two 15-91's (from CL also) without cabinets. i had bought a sewing cabinet for $8.00 at a yard sale over one year ago just need to get one of the machines in the cabinet. i havent started sewing on mine yet but that will soon change. i will look forward to the responses you receive.

    i received two boxes of parts/feet for both of the 15-91's i bought. there seems to be plenty of them on ebay so you may not have trouble getting parts or feet if you purchase this machine. i would see if they are willing to come down on the price some though. i got both of my machines for $65.00 along with the all the attachments. one machine is pristine and the other has some wear on the scrolls but the family said the mother used it often. good luck.
    Last edited by Havplenty; 01-24-2012 at 07:32 AM.

  3. #3
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Albany, Oregon
    Posts
    10,529
    $100 does sound high for a 15-91. However it's a cute cabinet, and if the machine does what you want it to do then you will be happy. I think I would take along a small quilt sandwich and try it out before buying, if you can do that. At least test the stitching to be sure it is in working order.

  4. #4
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,807
    Blog Entries
    1
    The cabinet is adorable! You can always offer less . . . my father would shoot me if I never bargained when buying something! He taught me the fine art of it!!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

  5. #5
    Senior Member DawnFurlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    The cabinet is adorable! You can always offer less . . . my father would shoot me if I never bargained when buying something! He taught me the fine art of it!!!!
    Bargaining is so not my forte!!! I just need to remember - all they can say is no. Love that it already has a cabinet - so I wouldn't hassle with that. Still waiting on a response as to whether they still have the machine or if it has sold.

    Saw another 15-91 on Craigs List - an estate sale. With the cabinet. They are asking $165. Would definitely offer less. If this first one doesn't pan out - thinking I might pop in at the estate sale this weekend. They indicated they do not know if it works or not. It looks like it is a shop or some type of management business that runs these estate sales. Not sure how much they bargain there, never been to one of these. Seems like they have built in a very hefty profit though on this machine - especially since they don't know anything about the condition of the machine!

  6. #6
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,590
    Blog Entries
    3
    15-91's have about a 7" space. They are wonderful machines. I think $100 is a little high and $165 is definitely too high especially if they don't even know if it works or not. Look on Ebay--that's where I got one of mine and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

    You can find feet for it online at various vintage sewing machine sites like http://www.sewingmachineplus.com or http://sew-classic.com. The feet don't usually cost very much.
    Last edited by virtualbernie; 01-24-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: adding additional info
    Bernie

  7. #7
    Super Member Havplenty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MO (the show me state)
    Posts
    2,869
    Blog Entries
    8
    yes i did take something to sew on to test both machines. be sure to do that. most the the poeple you buy these machines from know very little about them so they may tell you they think they sew or the last time nanna sewed with it, it worked. do test it. check under the bottom and the bobbin case for rust.

    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    $100 does sound high for a 15-91. However it's a cute cabinet, and if the machine does what you want it to do then you will be happy. I think I would take along a small quilt sandwich and try it out before buying, if you can do that. At least test the stitching to be sure it is in working order.

  8. #8
    Super Member Havplenty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MO (the show me state)
    Posts
    2,869
    Blog Entries
    8
    i would be hesitate to offer $165.00 for a 15-91. you can find them at goodwills for considerable less. i'm not sure why they have that priced so high. sometimes i think these estate sale companies just want to see what the market will bear. just for interest, i would take other ads for 15-91's with me to use as a bargaining chip if you become interested in the machine.

    i went to one estate sale and they had a pristine featherweight that was overpriced ($325.00) and had not sold in two days of the sale. the estate sellers were surprised and i told them is was overpriced. it sold for less in a bid auction. good luck with your 15-91 search.

    Quote Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
    Saw another 15-91 on Craigs List - an estate sale. With the cabinet. They are asking $165. Would definitely offer less. If this first one doesn't pan out - thinking I might pop in at the estate sale this weekend. They indicated they do not know if it works or not.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ncredbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Greeneville, TN
    Posts
    822
    In my area sewing machines at thrift stores are becoming harder and harder to find and more expensive when you do find them. I used to find quite a few of them but haven't seen one in months now and when I do find them they are seldom in good working condition. Also, because these older machines work so well and are still working after years and years of service people are coming to realize what a deal they are. After all how many of the expensive plastic machines or those with computer chips are still going to be around and working in 50 years? Another nice feature about the vintage machines is that they don't have to go to the dealer to be serviced unless it is really something big. The instructions for oiling, lubing, and cleaning them are available on the internet and it is simple to learn to do it. I wouldn't hesitate spending $100.00 for a 15-91 if I were in the market for a machine that I knew would sew through anything and has the ability to drop the feed dogs. (I have 2 of them downstairs.) That being said, be sure and take it for a test drive and be sure to try and drop the feed dogs while you are still there. This is a heavy machine and it will sew through leather if you need to have it do so. You couldn't find a new machine for a comparable price that would do that and most of them would bounce around on the table while you were sewing pedal to the metal. They certainly don't sew as fast as the Juki machines but they are as fast as I need one to be. (Until I got used to the speed of a Juki it made me nervous) Ann in TN

  10. #10
    Senior Member DawnFurlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
    In my area sewing machines at thrift stores are becoming harder and harder to find and more expensive when you do find them. I used to find quite a few of them but haven't seen one in months now and when I do find them they are seldom in good working condition. Also, because these older machines work so well and are still working after years and years of service people are coming to realize what a deal they are. After all how many of the expensive plastic machines or those with computer chips are still going to be around and working in 50 years? Another nice feature about the vintage machines is that they don't have to go to the dealer to be serviced unless it is really something big. The instructions for oiling, lubing, and cleaning them are available on the internet and it is simple to learn to do it. I wouldn't hesitate spending $100.00 for a 15-91 if I were in the market for a machine that I knew would sew through anything and has the ability to drop the feed dogs. (I have 2 of them downstairs.) That being said, be sure and take it for a test drive and be sure to try and drop the feed dogs while you are still there. This is a heavy machine and it will sew through leather if you need to have it do so. You couldn't find a new machine for a comparable price that would do that and most of them would bounce around on the table while you were sewing pedal to the metal. They certainly don't sew as fast as the Juki machines but they are as fast as I need one to be. (Until I got used to the speed of a Juki it made me nervous) Ann in TN
    I have to say, in my searches in my area (a larger metropolitan area) - I am hard pressed to find these type of machines for less than $100. There are a few listed on ebay, but I am hesitant to do that, because this is my first foray into vintage machines - and I am hoping that I don't have to tackle the rewiring thing right away. And this one comes with a cabinet. I still have not heard from the person who listed it for sale, so I am not sure if it is still available. But it is within an hour - so I can test drive it. I actually love the look of the cabinet. Doesn't match anything in my home, but I like it.

    Ann - I was wondering how you found stippling to be on your 15-91? It sounds like you have a Juki too. Have you liked your Juki as well? So many sewing machines, so many decisions!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.