Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
singer 301 with cabinet - is this a good price? >

singer 301 with cabinet - is this a good price?

singer 301 with cabinet - is this a good price?

Old 10-17-2011, 12:48 PM

I really don't need a vintage machine, but this caught my eye, it's a 301 singer (short bed) with a cabinet and stool. looks to be in great condition and they are asking $150, is this too much, just right or a screaming deal?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by gypsyquilter
I really don't need a vintage machine, but this caught my eye, it's a 301 singer (short bed) with a cabinet and stool. looks to be in great condition and they are asking $150, is this too much, just right or a screaming deal?
I got mine for $85. There was no bench with the cabinet, but it came with a buttonholer, ruffler and all the other attachments and tons of bobbins. The prices are going up, but you could probably get one cheaper. It just depends on if you are really, really wanting it. Do make sure the bobbin case is there, though. They also fit the featherweight and sell for $50 to $80.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM

I would be hard pressed to pay that much...it depends on how much you want that particular machine... :)
Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

Do you have a photo?

If the machine is in good cosmetic condition and good working condition, if the cabinet is in good condition and the stool is a matching stool for the cabinet (usually this kind has a lifting seat for storage), it could be a good buy.

You would want to make sure that the bobbin case is in the machine and that the machine actually forms stitches (otherwise it could be out-of-time and need a trip to the mechanic's hospital). It would also help if there are attachments.

301s used to sell for about $300 where I am -- just the portable machine head, not with a cabinet. However, prices have dropped a lot since the economy collapsed. Recently several people posted that they have purchased nice 301s off eBay for under $100 including shipping (although some required additional money for parts).

Overall, I would say that if the machine and cabinet look good and if the machine forms a stitch, it would be a decent price.

The 301 is a really nice vintage machine to have.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Seems high, even with the cabinet and bench. I paid $60 for my 301 alone, but I don't think a cabinet & bench is worth $90.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

I payed $45 for mine. No bench. It all depends on the cabinet, bench and shape of machine and what it is worth it to you. The one nic epart about the 301 is that it is light weight and portable. so I usually do not have mine in the cabinet. You can easily pay $150 for the 301 long bed without a cabinet. The long bed reffers to the space to the left of the needle so it does NOT give you a larger opening in the throat area at all. It just refers to the little flip up table attached to the left. All 301 in cabinet will be short arm.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:29 PM

With the prices going up on 301, I would do it IF I could afford to spend that much. I have been looking at brackets to put my 301 into a cabinet. I found them on Ebay and they are upwards of $30 ++++.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:46 PM

thanks everyone, I've decided to pass. this would be a nice to have, not a need to have, as just bough a hand crank to add to my collection :-)

heres the ad anyone in my area is interested

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/atq/2653191186.html
Old 10-17-2011, 03:38 PM

I was just talking to the Singer repair guy today. He said that as far as he is concerned that you can keep all the Featherweight machines and give him a 301. He told me he thinks they are the best machines that Singer ever made.
That black one you just posted is the minority of the 301's they made so are harder to find. The cabinet is in good shape and it comes with a nice bench. For the money I don't think you could go wrong. What kind of junk machine can you buy new for $150.00? This machine is portable, allows you to drop the feed dogs for FMQ, it is gear driven, and it is still working after working for 50+ years. Do you think any of our fancy computerized machines will still be working in 50 years? I don't. With proper care this pretty baby will still be going strong. Ann in TN
Old 10-17-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
For the money I don't think you could go wrong. What kind of junk machine can you buy new for $150.00? This machine is portable, allows you to drop the feed dogs for FMQ, it is gear driven, and it is still working after working for 50+ years.
Yep - and with a little bit of care that anyone can learn to do, the 301 could still be going in fifty more - long after all of our plastic machines have gone to the landfill. :)

Hard to tell from this one picture, but the machine, library cabinet and storage bench appear to be in great shape. :)