Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer 417 >

Singer 417

Singer 417

Old 08-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Does anyone know where I should oil the Singer 417? I don't have the booklet that goes with the machine, but it needs oil. I can only see two holes....are those the only places I should oil?

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:23 PM

Hi Kelly, You might want to check out the Vintage Machine group and see what you can find out. I can see part of your machine in the background of the picture you posted with the beautiful miniature quilt and it sure looks a lot like my Singer 401. I have the manual and if you think it would help I can take a picture of the oiling diagram and post it to you. Basically in addition to oil ports on top of the machine there are more under the little door where you put the cams. There's also a diagram that shows putting a drop of oil on the moving parts behind the faceplate and there are a couple of little oil ports in there too. Hope this is some help to get you started. Let me know if you would like pictures or if you can confirm that the 401 and the 417 are pretty similar. I couldn't find any decent pictures of the 417 online, but there are quite a few of the 401. I'm kind of new at this and probably there are lots of places to look that I don't know about. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

I don't have that machine, but oiling for old machines is very similar.

There is a cover on the left hand side that can usually be flipped open. If it doesn't have a hinge, then there will be 2 or 3 screws that need to be undone so you can lift the cover off.

You also need to take the cover off the top of the machine. Usually there are 2 to 4 inset screws that you need to undo in order to lift the cover off.

Basically you put 1 drop of oil every place two pieces might rub together. Slowing moving the wheel on the right towards you helps you see where those places might be. There will also be a couple of holes for oil.

Take out the bobbin, and look for moving parts that need a drop of oil.

I always keep a couple of plastic lids nearby to hold screws so I don't lose them. When you open the top, do not oil the gears; they will usually have some white or brown grease on them. Just leave the grease (or you can get a tube of Singer lubricant for greasing the gears).

It's easy to over-oil. Keep a scrap of cotton batting underneath the presser foot to catch any oil leaking down. I thread the machine and run it after oiling, until the thread both top and bottom sews clean. Usually I let the machine sit overnight and do this again to make sure no more oil is going to get on the thread.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:46 PM

Thanks friends!

The one in the picture is my 500a Slant-o-matic. I have more than one machine because I teach sewing. I'm trying to oil my 417, but since hubby usually does it, I have to figure it all out for myself. I never had an instruction manual for it and can't really pay $10 or more to get one. I don't think I really need the manual, I just need to figure out where to oil.

I greatly appreciate the help and suggestions!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I always keep a couple of plastic lids nearby to hold screws so I don't lose them.
I use a magnetic tray and that really keeps things in their place.