Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer 7466 bobbins 15J how can I tell? >

Singer 7466 bobbins 15J how can I tell?

Singer 7466 bobbins 15J how can I tell?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Sorry if this is the umteenth thousandth question re: bobbins and Singers but you guys are all so awesome and patient... I have a Singer 7466 and, although I know it's not the best (I go to retreats and am more than slightly jealous of the beautiful machines out there) it is a good workhorse machine. The last time I had it repaired (bobbin problems) they were adamant at the shop to only use 15J bobbins - now at the time I didn't appreciate this mandate and have seemed to have acquired some bobbins that look similar (plastic) but now I can't tell if there are 15Js or something else and I'm having trouble with the blanket stitch (applique) and the bobbin thread bunching up. Some of my bobbins that I have sacrificed to figure this out have a 9 imprinted on the inside, some have a 10. Can someone who knows for sure they have 15J bobbins (as opposed to 15 or any other) sacrifice a bobbin and look on the inside throat and tell if there's a number..or does the number matter? My Joans only sells 15 not 15J. I could order some 15Js, but I'm hoping to get some free help first...especially since I've now wasted an embarrassing amount of thread unwinding three bobbins to figure out if I've gone wrong. Now I'm so mixed up I don't know which one I was using (insert foolish feeling here) and which one I should be using.
can someone help?
Thanks,
Deedee :-)
Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Sorry about your dilemma. I know nothing about Singer bobbins except they don't play well in my Kenmore or H/V. Is there a definite way that they fit into the machine. My drop in H/V has to have the H?V emblem up in the machine and on the bobbin winder. The Kenmore doesn't have a preference.

Once you figure out what you do have, could you put a small dot of red nail polish on the right ones so you could tell at a glance which are your soldiers and which ones need to be held in captivity for some other unsuspecting buyer (include a note of apology)?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Administrator

your machine needs class 15 bobbins. the "J" indicates genuine Janome brand. (i think. the J might also mean that the bobbins were made especially for Janome machines. or it might mean something else altogether, in which case i'm not only off-base, i'm running around the wrong ballfield. :lol: )

having read posts here for many years, and having heard some of the "advice" offered by dealers, i've come to the conclusion that some of them tend to overdramatize tiny details. who knows why. :lol:

any class 15 bobbin should work well in your machine, with or without the J.

most Singer machines with drop-in bobbin cases use a class L bobbin. if you sit a class L next to a class 15, you'll see that they are the same diameter, but the class 15 is every-so-slightly higher than the L.

the metal bobbin cases that you load and put in sideways usually work best with the metal bobbins with holes. they're the same size as a class 15 plastic bobbin.

if you put an L bobbin in a machine that prefers a 15, it will be a weeee bit loose, so will rattle around a little. most of the time that won't create problems. when proper tension is super-important, it's best to use the class 15.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:39 AM

Thanks for asking that question. I have a Singer 7422 (also a work horse but I'm pleased with it) and just checked the Singer site at http://answers.singerco.com/answers/.../questions.htm

They say: Make sure that you are using the original bobbins that came with your machine; your machine uses a plastic class 15J bobbin, if you want to purchase more the part number is 085128.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 AM
Administrator

naturally singer recommends buying only singer brand bobbins. :lol:

this seems to be a pretty good price for the brand name 15Js

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/85128-50pk.php

unless you buy hundreds at a time, you aren't likely to find them for much less.

i saw a 3-pack of 15Js for $4.77 plus shipping. as if! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-12-2011, 05:16 AM

The 15J's are the size of a Class 15 bobbin, but a little different. They have a slight dome to the top of the bobbin and for some reason they work better with the machine.

You can get them from any dealer, or check on Ebay...I'm sure you will find them there.