Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer and Brother machines >

Singer and Brother machines

Singer and Brother machines

Old 07-21-2012, 04:58 AM

Default Singer and Brother machines

Can anyone tell me if these machines are good ones and can you FMQ on them?
Brother LS2020 Singer SGC1050
Thanks
Old 07-21-2012, 06:39 AM

I can't tell you about the LS2020 from Brother, but Brother is an excellent machine & the company is great to deal with. I use a Brother HS-2000 which I adore. It's been used almost continuously for three years & no major problems. I am saving for a Brother Innovis-NX-2000 (Laura Ashley special edition). It was made specifically for Quilters & has everything with it that's needed. Singer was a good name years ago before they went to the plastic parts. Now, most people that get them complain they're in the shop more than on their tables. If you get the heavier, all metal ones, they're fantastic! It's all in what you like & can afford. You'll get different answers from everyone here & most will tell you to do your research, read all comments from owners on each website, try them at the dealership & choose the one you feel confident will do what you want from it. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:49 AM

An old singer....worth its weight. Have my mothers featherweight that was built in 1939 and still purrs like a kitten.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:00 AM

Id go brother but I am biased as I have three and gave one away to my MIL. All run excellent. Never had a problem with any
Old 07-21-2012, 08:44 AM

You can FMQ on most machines but some are easier than others to FMQ. What is the price of these machimes? I did a search on the Brothers and think the price is $59 but am not sure. Sometimes you get what you pay for. I have a singer quilter from Joann's that I bought for about $300 on sale. It is a nice machine and sews pretty easily. Than I invested in a Brothers LQ1500s for $600 from Amazon (no tax and free shipping) What a difference!!!! The brothers has 1500 stitches/per min and really does nice stippling and meanandering with no Eyelashes. I would recommend you save for a better machine. I still like my Singer but REALLY love my Brothers.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:50 AM

I have a Singer 7472 model and I love it. I have never had a problem with it and it sews just fine. I have had it for about 6 years.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I can do FMQ on my basic mechanical Brother. I have three vintage Singers, including a Featherweight, but do love my Brother.