Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Confidence Featherweight Stippling Foot >

Singer Confidence Featherweight Stippling Foot

Singer Confidence Featherweight Stippling Foot

Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
Default Singer Confidence Featherweight Stippling Foot

I want to try to stipple a square that has backing, batting and a Santa front. I sewed it all together and turned it. I just tried the stippling foot - dropping the feed dogs - and had an awful mess on the back. Something about my tension - was so out of whack and loose on the back. Easy to remove though. Do I have to change the tension to stipple? Do I have to wrap something around the top of the foot to make it compress like I've seen in some videos? I can't find a YouTube that talks about tension. Help!! :-) Would I be better using the walking foot? I've either SITD, QAYG or tied my quilting and would like to take the next step.

Last edited by marcycn; 08-03-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: More thoughts
Old 08-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

Did you remember to lower the presser foot?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:59 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Yes I did :-)
Old 08-03-2014, 11:59 AM

The problem is the tension on the back. It is very loose. I have it on automatic and if sewing with feet up all is ok. Do I mess with the tension until it seems right or is there a special way it should be set? I'm assuming I do + and not -?
Old 08-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes that happens if your stitches are too long. Your tension may be out of alignments slightly but doesn't show when the machine is controlling the length of the stitches. But when FMQ, then it will rear up and make a mess with your threads. When ever I start a quilt, I always have a small test quilt sample to make sure everything is working and at the proper setting.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:51 PM

Well, here it is. My first. Good thing it's for me and not to give away. :-) I adjusted the tension to +1 1/2 and it seemed to work better. Maybe I try to go too fast? I have long and short stitches. Showing the back too. You can see where it's not right. I don't know how you all do it so nicely! It's HARD. :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486157[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]486156[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]486155[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails santa-1.jpg   santa-back.jpg   tension.jpg  
Old 08-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

I don't have your machine but I always adjust my tension on a sample prior to FMQ on my quilt. Just make a note or take a picture first so you can set everything back to regular sewing when finished. My bobbin case has a tiny screw to adjust the bobbin tension and I do that as well after noting it's position.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:30 PM

My book says never adjust the bobbin tension. Is that the tension in my picture that is messing up? I never got the hang of tension. Bought a new machine because I couldn't get the tension right on my old one. :-) I thought that if it was loose on the back it was top tension and loose on the front it's the bobbin. No?
Old 08-03-2014, 01:53 PM

Oh my..... sorry you are having this problem. Did you take all the thread off and re-thread it? Sometimes, that works because the upper thread doesn't get snug in the tension. Other than that, are you using regular sewing thread (size 50) or are you using quilting thread? Quilting thread is much heavier and some machines don't like it.

I ALWAYS make a pre FMQ practice using the thread, batting, and fabric so I can adjust everything that needs adjusting. I really think that helps no matter what you are quilting.

And I agree with you. It looks a lot easier when someone else is doing it. I find FMQ difficult, too.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:32 PM

New thread - new threading - quilting thread for this project. I've been using the 100% cotton on everything until now. That does give me a thought though.... tension would be different for different thread wouldn't it. This is like a practice piece since I've sewn on it 3 times already. :-) It's just for me anyway. I'm beginning to think I'm not cut out for stippling. Doing pretty good with the walking foot though. :-)