Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
?? Singer Fashion Mate v Brother CE-5000 PRW ?? >

?? Singer Fashion Mate v Brother CE-5000 PRW ??

?? Singer Fashion Mate v Brother CE-5000 PRW ??

Old 02-26-2010, 02:35 PM

help!

my workhorse of a singer finally bit the dust. (it was a 10-year of $50 black friday special - only a straight stitch w/ reverse!) I need a new machine quickly to (maybe) finish a swap and to do my downy quilts for kids kit (not to mention all the other projects...)

I can spend about $200 on a machine - but there's really only walmart and joann fabrics to chose from!

Does anyone have the singer fashion mate? does it quilt well?

How about the Brother CE-5000 Project Runway edition?

Is there a better option for the $200 price range? I really want to quilt - I don't need embroidery - but the option for free-motion would be cool.

Any and ALL advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Ya'll rock - thanks in advance!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

I personally would not buy a Singer in that price range, and I know that the Singer Fashion Mate is not highly regarded by people who collect older Singer machines.

You might want to consider buying online in order to get a Sears Kenmore or Janome in your price range.

For reviews of models you are considering, join http://www.patternreview.com . Here is a review on what may be the Brother you are considering:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi.../Review/1/3286
but you should look for other reviews just to make sure there is some reliability with this model (and, in fact, that this is the same model you are looking at!).
Old 02-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

I would check out Sewvacdirect.com. They have tons of machines in all price ranges and most of the ship free. I got my Juki machine and Grace quilting frame from there.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:50 PM

I have the Brother and I love it! I've been using it for over a year and it sews like a dream. It comes with all the feet, incl the fmq one. It has an automatic needle threader (I love) and lets you drop the feed dogs. I loved it so much I bought one for my mother.

I use mine every day, have quilted numerous baby quilts on it. I'm just not coordinated enough to quilt bigger ones.

Mine was $100 from Overstock.com. With free shipping.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:22 PM

I just received an e-mail today that JoAnn's is having their sewing machines on line on sale.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:35 AM

Have you checked out Craigslist in your area....
I check mine frequently and am amazed at the deals on machines.
K
Old 02-27-2010, 03:27 AM

I have a brother and have always bought brother, and never have had a problem. And love love love it. I got my machine on hsn.com because they let you make flex pays, so I got a 500 machine for 4 payments of 125.00. It worked out well for me, but also you should try overstock.com because some of the ladies in my quilting group got a janome for 125.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:55 AM

I have a Brother CS6001. DH surprised me with it. I didn't tell him how disappointed I was becasue I had hoped to one day get a better machine, but I was surprised again. It has worked VERY well for the past two years. I have no complaints. This model is only $169 on Amazon (with free shipping -- if you need it faster, you can pay for express shipping). It has very good reveiws on Amazon as well as good ratings from other online sights. If $200 was my budget, I'd definitely do Brother or look at a Kenmore (Sears). I would NOT do a Singer. I also second the recommendation also to look at Overstock.com...never know what they have listed, sometimes some great prices and usually ship very fast.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:27 AM

I have that Brother model and it does sew great but I can't get the needle threader to work my eyesight isn't that great so I just do it the easy way.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:45 AM

Wow!!

Thank you all!!

I went and got the brother (in this snow!) I wish I could have done the online thing, but I have a couple of "code red curtains" (curtain that cover classroom doors in a lockdown) that needed to be finished for school on monday. no machine = taking the best of what you can get instantly.

I am going to take your advice when I upgrade -- I will eventually get a "real" quilting machine!

You ladies rock - thank you so much for your help and ideas!