Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Featherweight >

Singer Featherweight

Singer Featherweight

Old 04-11-2010, 10:13 AM

Enjoy your class! I would take it, but $$ is tight right now. I'm not far from you, west to 2Paws. Are you in the Log Cabin Quilters?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:28 AM

To be able to maintain your own FW would definitly be worth the money. My FW case got some minor water damage when my basement flooded. The case is fine, FW is also, but there is now a slight musty smell in the case. If you find out how to clean the case of odor, I would love knowing how. I would love any info you could pass on.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:06 AM

I also have a Singer Featherweight 221 and bought it on Ebay about 4 years ago......I bid on it, and have purchased 3 of these aver the past 7 years....I moved a lot during this period and sold one each time....mad about 150 $ profit, as I was living in Hawaii each time and they don't have them there. BUT...I amNOT selling this one. One of your replies waas someone recommending DAVE the featherweight shop owner having a DVD on maintenance. I am looking it up next. His machines are beautiful, but cost about $700 or more..course, they are re-furbished.....but I loved the bidding and WINNING THE BID!!!! Gosh, I ALMOST BECAME ADDICTED :?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:38 PM

If you go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintagesingers/
they have a lot of information on Featherweights and other vintage Singers.

I missed the 1916 Singer treadle FOR FREE by one phone call. I am so disappointed as I love the old machines. They have a perfect straight stitch and are great for piecing.

Can't wait to hear about the class. Even if you didn't have a Featherweight, you would learn a lot.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:49 PM

i saw a video on featherweights on you tube.com a nice older man sell,s his video,s and walks through each step of cleaning and how to fix them wonderful video saw it and like it very much when i ever get one i,ll buy his video for sure
Old 04-11-2010, 03:25 PM

Not in the Log Cabin Quilters. I work full time and am not sure I would be able to keep up. Not sure I am ready for a group. The class is at Quilts Plus.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:09 PM

Clem if you put some bars of scented soap in your case that may help get rid of the odor. I have done that with dresser and desk drawers that had a musty odor and it worked to get rid of it completely after a while. However, it won't work overnight and I'm not sure if it will work with the type of lining that's in your case.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:34 PM

I just purchased a featherweight and would love to have a class like that in my area. I would go in a heartbeat. I named mine Prissilla as she looks do prissy. I anso excited as I am getting my grandmothers and it is the one I learned to sew on. It is a centinial model.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:37 PM

Thank you , I'll give that a try. NOthing to lose anyway! LOL It isn't bad, just "there" . I almost cried when I saw that case sitting in water, I moved real fast to get everything out and dried or drying. That was my first sewing machine, and it sure made many a thing for me, from baby clothes to leather car seat covers. No damage dome thank goodness!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 PM

I was given a FW and it had a terrible smell. I changed the felt pad inside that absorbs any oil drips. That helped the machine smell alot. I set the box out in 100 degree sunshine for a few days, but it was still bad. I put some deodorant soap in it recently and sealed it in a big garbage bag, that seams to have worked. I haven't brought it into the house yet, so I'm not sure, it is definately better.