Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Featherweight >

Singer Featherweight

Singer Featherweight

Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 AM

I see there are a lot of posts mentioning these machines - sounds like they are prized among many. I don't know anything about them but would like to know more...
What makes these so desireable?
Are they smaller than the normal sewing machine?
Do they sew exceptionally nice?
Are they electric?
What's the going price for one of these? I see one for sale at $299 - looks to be ion very good condition with the case, manual & attachments - deal or no deal?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

That's about an average fair price for a featherweight in good cosmetic condition with case (in good condition) and accessories. Pricing is very dependent on cosmetic condition, with "mint" machines going for more and worn-looking decals going for less. The usual model is 221. The 222 has a removable bed, is very rare, and can go for $2,000 or so.

They are reliable straight-stitch machines light enough to easily carry in one hand to classes. Other vintage Singers sew great but are much heavier.

There is a lot of nostalgia value tied in the old machines, plus they are easy to maintain and fix at home. Parts are widely available for them because so many were manufactured.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 AM

Here is a site with some history and more info on these great little machines.

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/
Old 07-28-2010, 03:40 PM

Buy Buy yes electric small but tuff if you can go check it out do it some are lucky to find very goog deals but they are rare.
Originally Posted by Chatfield
I see there are a lot of posts mentioning these machines - sounds like they are prized among many. I don't know anything about them but would like to know more...
What makes these so desireable?
Are they smaller than the normal sewing machine?
Do they sew exceptionally nice?
Are they electric?
What's the going price for one of these? I see one for sale at $299 - looks to be ion very good condition with the case, manual & attachments - deal or no deal?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:16 PM

If it's in good condition, that's not a bad price. I paid a bit more for mine, but it is in excellent condition, has everything original and only a very small area of wear on the decals. It looks like it was used a few times and put back in the box for 64 years! It works great and I love the perfectly straight stitching! Although it's smaller, the throat area is larger than most standard sewing machines.

I know I could have found something on eBay for less money, but I was too nervous it would get mangled in shipping, plus I really like that I could sew with it before I purchased it. The shop I bought from is very reliable, and I trust him. I've dealt with him several times before. I just felt more comfortable buying mine that way.