Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Serger Sewing Machine Help Model 14J334 >

Singer Serger Sewing Machine Help Model 14J334

Singer Serger Sewing Machine Help Model 14J334

Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 AM

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is where I would post this type of question, but I'll try. If it's not, please delete, and I'll understand.

I have a Singer Serger Model 14J334, and have been having the darndest time with it. I finally got the tension on the threads correctly, only to have the right needle break 12 times this weekend, b/c it keeps "hitting" something when I'm sewing. What is weird is that while the fabric is going through the feed dogs, it's fine. As soon as the fabric ends, and I'm making the chain to remove the fabric, that's when the needle breaks. I'm not sure what to think, or what the problem can be.

Also, anyone know what the right tension numbers should be at when sewing. I keep having horrible loops, and like I said, I finally got the tension right over the weekend, but now it's all messed up b/c of the needle breaking.

Thanks in Advance,
Wanda in Chicago
Old 01-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

Is this a new serger? Or one that you've had for awhile?

Are you by any chance pulling on the threads when the needle breaks? If it's an older serger, I wonder if the timing has gotten off because of the needle breaks. Timing would need to be fixed by a technician.

I would probably change both needles, completely unthread the machine, clean and oil it, and then re-thread from scratch. For the tension knobs, I put them on the lightest tension when threading (0-1) to make sure that the thread seats properly between the tension discs. I am careful to change those settings to the middle (3-5) before doing a test sew.

It isn't just the tension settings that affect the loops. The stitch width (moves the knife left and right) will affect how the loops hang off the edge. Also, you need to check if you have it set for a narrow bound hem.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Is this a new serger? Or one that you've had for awhile?

Are you by any chance pulling on the threads when the needle breaks? If it's an older serger, I wonder if the timing has gotten off because of the needle breaks. Timing would need to be fixed by a technician.

I would probably change both needles, completely unthread the machine, clean and oil it, and then re-thread from scratch. For the tension knobs, I put them on the lightest tension when threading (0-1) to make sure that the thread seats properly between the tension discs. I am careful to change those settings to the middle (3-5) before doing a test sew.

It isn't just the tension settings that affect the loops. The stitch width (moves the knife left and right) will affect how the loops hang off the edge. Also, you need to check if you have it set for a narrow bound hem.
Prism99, I've had the machine for about 3 years now. And just in the last year have taken it out and begun using it again. It was working fine, minus the needle breaking and tensions being off. I guess I just really hate to thread it, and really just didn't want to play with it. My mom owns a serger, and that one works like a dream, she has owned that one for 10+ years, and never had a problem with it. It's also a singer, just a different model. I will have to take it in to a tech then, b/c I know I'm not pulling on the fabric. That was my initial thought, but then I slowed my pace, and tried sewing the chain and it still breaks the needle. I've replaced both needles when the right one breaks, and have unthreaded and rethreaded the machine upteen times, but still have the same issues. I really do guess it has to be seen by a professional, and get some help. Thanks for your reply, I'll see if the tech at my local sewing shop can help if not, i'll try Hancocks.

Hugs,
Wanda
Old 01-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Power Poster

So sorry you are having these problems!!!
It is so frustrating when these things happen :evil:
Old 01-05-2010, 03:21 AM

Sorry you are having trouble with it.