Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer Sewing Machine Model 185J -Canada W/Case

Singer Sewing Machine Model 185J -Canada W/Case

Does anyone know anything about this machine? It is a beautiful green color. Is it kinda like the Singer Featherweight?

I am thinking about buying one. What is a fair price to pay?

Thanks for any advice!!

Those 185's are collectable for some people, maybe because of the unique green color. The machine is NOT lightweight like the Featherweight. I have one, and it sews great. However, it is not one to take to work sessions due to its weight. It is a 3/4 size model, and I believe the innards are almost the same as a Singer 99. They do not zigzag.

I would suggest that you take a look at Ebay to see what the going prices are for the 185 these days. The price is certainly less than a Featherweight.

They are cute machines, and I think most were made in the 1950's -- at least mine was.

Dayle

I have one. Cute machine with a nice stitch Price is always based on demand and condition. Although it's a cute machine, it has a drop in bobbin and a small throat and is straight stitch only.

Dayle is correct - it is the Singer 99 of the 1950's. It is very heavy, but sews a great straight stitch. I paid $20 for mine, though I see them listed on ebay for a whole lot more, plus shipping. I think anything less than $75 for one in good to excellent condition is fair, but you can get one for a whole lot less. Also, Billy said the case/cover is not super durable, so finding one with the factory case intact is a plus.

Darren

Mine also cost $20 -- at a garage sale.

Dayle

I payed 50 bucks for mine in a cabinet and then took it home and sewed up two bargello quilts on it. They sew great. I would say in great condition 75-100 bucks would be a decent price. Some places less.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington