Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Studio S16 True Straight Stitch Sewing Machine? >

Singer Studio S16 True Straight Stitch Sewing Machine?

Singer Studio S16 True Straight Stitch Sewing Machine?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 AM

Default Singer Studio S16 True Straight Stitch Sewing Machine?

I saw this machine on overstock.com. It looks very similar to the Janome 1600 and I was wondering if it is essentially the same machine. Does anyone have this?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I myself would probably never consider buying a Singer. However, I did find these reviews of it on Amazon which may be helpful to you in terms of making a decision:
http://www.amazon.com/Singer-S16-Ind...dp/B00KAYDYE0/

I alhttp://www.amazon.com/Singer-S16-Industrial-Grade-Straight-Quilting/dp/B00KAYDYE0/so found the Janome 1600 on Amazon. You may be able to compare features between the two machines.

I have seen comments here and there about finicky tension issues on the 1600 and on Singers. I hate messing with finicky tension issues, so I would be concerned about that.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:54 AM

What would concern me about the reviews is that they are all "Vine" -- reviewers selected by Amazon to receive a free machine to review.
A $2,000 -- on half-price sale -- not a bad buy if it truly performs up to the selected reviewers. Do feel that Amazon has a pretty good return policy, when needed.
Please be aware, that while different manufacturers machines may be made in the same plant -- they are not identical machines -- but made to specific brand requirements.
When someone says "Kirkland ice cream is great because it's made by Hagen Das" -- it can be true, but the ice creams are not alike.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:28 AM

I'm not planning on getting one, but it looked like a re-badged Janome to me. Also saw another machine which looked like the Janome 6500 or 6600. I was just curious if anyone knew about them.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:48 AM

Singer has combined with Viking,Elna and some other sewing machine companies,so Singer no longer makes their own machines. I bought one of these and am looking forward to trying it out. I know it is fussy with the tension settings but I'm willing to try. If nothing else, if it doesn't I will send it back. I had a Pfaff and 2 Vikings.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pegc View Post
Singer has combined with Viking,Elna and some other sewing machine companies,so Singer no longer makes their own machines. I bought one of these and am looking forward to trying it out. I know it is fussy with the tension settings but I'm willing to try. If nothing else, if it doesn't I will send it back. I had a Pfaff and 2 Vikings.
Not quite. Singer, Viking and Pfaff are owned by the same conglomerate, but the Elna and Necchi names are owned and built by Janome.

Cari
Old 09-05-2016, 04:12 PM

Personally, I wouldn't buy a NEW Singer, I don't care what the price, an old one, I would.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:53 PM

The Singer Studio line is manufactured by Janome and is identical inside to the comparable Janome machine. There are no differences other that color and external branding. Just like their Janome counterparts, they do tend to suffer from tension issues.