Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
single or double...binding strips >

single or double...binding strips

single or double...binding strips

Old 08-03-2010, 05:05 PM

well, I made a mistake. I was cutting the strips to bind my DDs quilt and as i was piecing them together it occured to me that I cut the stirps 1.5" instead of 2.5"! That means I will only have a single fold binding. Is this going to be a big deal? I always do double fold, not sure what I was thinking this time. Don't have enough fabric to cut more, and JoAnn's where I bought it, is an hour away...not planning atrip there any time soon, ugh.

So, should I put this on hold or go ahead w/the single fold?

Thanks,
Jenna
Old 08-03-2010, 05:11 PM

I would put it on hold. I know how you feel . Last night I cut what I thought was 2- 12 1/2 strips. I actually cut 1- 12 1/2 and 2 -6 1/4 !!! I will have to sew the 2- 6 1/4 strips together and hope it will fit. Fortunately for me it was for the back of a quilt I had just finished. Hopefully I will be the only one that knows. Can you order your fabric on line a t JoAn's ??
Old 08-03-2010, 05:13 PM

I would put it 'on hold'--unless you might have another fabric to substitute or you could make double sided binding.
I have seen that done here somewhere and it was very striking!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Banned

Do you happen to have enough to make another 1 1/2 inch strip? I have made the same mistake and what I ended up doing is sewing two together and then making my binding 2 1/4 inches wide and when I fold it I make sure the seam is on the inside part of the fold and on the bottom or backside that way it isn't seen and you really have to be feeling for it to know that it is there.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:54 AM

I agree with the others - I would wait until you can make it a double binding.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

personally i would just make a narrower binding. of course that depends on the look of the quilt but usually very narrow bindings look just as good as wider ones. i have made bindings as narrow as starting with 1 1/2" strips, when you fold it is half you have 3/4" stitch on and bring over, your binding is 1/4" wide on each side. looks good
Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
Do you happen to have enough to make another 1 1/2 inch strip? I have made the same mistake and what I ended up doing is sewing two together and then making my binding 2 1/4 inches wide and when I fold it I make sure the seam is on the inside part of the fold and on the bottom or backside that way it isn't seen and you really have to be feeling for it to know that it is there.
I have done this to make 2 color binding and it works!

I too, like double layer binding. It's much easier to work with and lasts longer (or seems to), so if I couldn't do the above I would wait.

Good luck on your project!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:26 AM

What about using it like double-fold bias tape? Fold in half & press, then fold the outsides in by 1/4 inch and press. Line the raw edge up with the edge of the quilt, right sides together, sew down, then fold to the back & finish as you usually would.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
personally i would just make a narrower binding. of course that depends on the look of the quilt but usually very narrow bindings look just as good as wider ones. i have made bindings as narrow as starting with 1 1/2" strips, when you fold it is half you have 3/4" stitch on and bring over, your binding is 1/4" wide on each side. looks good
This is what I am going to try on teh baby quilt and see how I like it.

Thanks,
Jenna
Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by cattailsquilts
What about using it like double-fold bias tape? Fold in half & press, then fold the outsides in by 1/4 inch and press. Line the raw edge up with the edge of the quilt, right sides together, sew down, then fold to the back & finish as you usually would.
Great idea! That is how I was thinking I would need to put it on when I realized my mistake, just have not decided if I want it so narrow, and/or if I would prefer a wider binding.

Thanks,
Jenna