Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Single or double thread ?

Single or double thread ?

I'm very new at this. I'm going to try a cathedral window quilt. I want to hand sew the entire quilt (I'll experiment with a pillow first!). Should I use single or double thread ? And should I use beeswax?

Blog Entries
    http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2010/05/...to-hand-quilt/

here's a video. Single thread. I prefer Thread Heaven to beeswax, but others like beeswax.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

I'm another person who loves Thread Heaven. I was a beeswax user until Thread Heaven came on the market. Now, I think I cannot hand sew without Thread Heaven. Best wishes on your Cathedral Window quilt. I know it will be lovely!

Thanx so much...here I go, needle & thread in hand. Wish me luck! :0)

Oh I love cathedral windows. Enjoy.

When I hand sew anything I use double thread. When sewing bindings on I use hand quilting thread. My thought it is stronger, not always true.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Thanx to ALL of you! I'm almost finished with a 4 unit sample using single thread to sew the units together, then I'm going to make a 4 unit sample using double thread. I'll compare to see which is best. Right now I'm thinking I should use double thread to attach the units together, but inserting and sewing the "window" fabric should be single thread... Live and learn, right? :0)

When I was learning to see we were told to use a double thread for gathering, but that was like for a 3 yard gathered skirt, which of course is a much greater distance than your little yo-yo. And we were told to use a single thread for just about everything else.

I personally prefer to use a single thread for most things except embroidery.