Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Single straight stitch machine >

Single straight stitch machine

Single straight stitch machine

Old 12-29-2011, 02:15 PM

TeresaH and bdschafer - exactly why I was thinking of this machine. I have a couple of the newer Brothers with the fancy stitches and all the feet that I just don't use. As long as I can get a 1/4", I'm good. After all, I only need a straight stitch to piece and a large throat for quilting. Thanks for the comments.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:41 PM

I have an older Juki TL98E. It is about 8-9 yrs. old, and I just love it! Bought it new for around $600, straight stitch only with a bit larger throat area than my other machines. I use it for piecing and fmq along with heavy bulky items. I cannot say enough about it!!! It is great! I would highly recommend it for what you are intending to use it for.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by cizzors View Post
TeresaH and bdschafer - exactly why I was thinking of this machine. I have a couple of the newer Brothers with the fancy stitches and all the feet that I just don't use. As long as I can get a 1/4", I'm good. After all, I only need a straight stitch to piece and a large throat for quilting. Thanks for the comments.
I am looking to upgrade my sewing machine. My primary desire is for a larger harp space so that I can quilt all of my quilt tops. I recently posted about purchasing a Husqvarna Sapphire 835 that I saw and test drove over the weekend. I have read sewing machine reviews until my head spins!!

I currently have a Janome 4800. Small harp space, FMQ very finicky. At first I thought I would go with either the 835 or Janome 6600. But honestly, all of the extra features - I'll likely never use them!!! And...my current Janome has all of those extra features, so I really don't have need of a machine with all of the bells and whistles.

Enter the Brother PQ1500s. Have seen some good prices on this. It is making me broaden my horizon on my choices.

Are you both still as happy with the PQ1500? Can I ask how long have you had your sewing machine? I would love a machine that is not so finicky with getting the tension correct for FMQ. I am really questioning whether one really has to spend upwards of $2,000 to get a larger harp space and a decent sewing machine. Especially if one doesn't need all of the additional bells and whistles! Sometimes I know you get what you pay for. But sometimes less expensive does as well or better than something with all the added bells and whistles.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:43 PM

I also have the Juki 98Q- 4 years this March. Love, Love, Love this machine! Workhorse is an understatement. Just clean it and oil every 8 hours and it purrs along.

I've quilted up to a king size on it with no troubles.

Last edited by Barbm; 01-09-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew View Post
I have an older Juki TL98E. It is about 8-9 yrs. old, and I just love it! Bought it new for around $600, straight stitch only with a bit larger throat area than my other machines. I use it for piecing and fmq along with heavy bulky items. I cannot say enough about it!!! It is great! I would highly recommend it for what you are intending to use it for.
I would recommend this machine also...it is a semi industrial machine with all the good points of an industrial, but some of the benefits of a portable.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 PM

Try to find your self the viking mega quilter; it has a 9in throat, great machine for quilting, only goes straight, has needle threader, up/down button, well worth your money.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 PM

Hands down.....the Brother 1500......my girl is almost 10 and sews as perfectly as the day she came out of the box. have pieced and FMQ over 400 quilts and she has NEVER let me down. Paid about 650.00 for that machine and she has been worth EVERY penny.....will go out and buy another one when she dies.

jodi in leavenworth kansas
Old 01-09-2012, 03:35 PM

I have the Brother PQ1500s and it is perfect for what I need. I have mine actually set up on a frame and do my quilts with it. I can do up to a twin size on my frame with it. Nothing fancy. No problems with tension. Love it!!!!!!! I have another Bother machine I use for piecing. I have had my set up for about a year and a half now. Best money I have ever spent. It has paid for itself over and over again, without having to send my quilts out to a professional.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Have you looked into a Juki? I've never tried one, but have heard great things about them.
I love my Juki 98Q. Great machine for what you are wanting.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:02 PM

I have to agree with Charlee.. I have a Singer 66, and 99.. I love both.. I also have a Singer from the 1960's made in Great Britain that I use the zig zag for applique.. I wouldn't think of trading any of them in for a new machine.. I was in the Joann's store near me, where they have a section that is rented out to a sewing machine store.. I was impressed with the embroidery machine, but would not think of paying for a computerized machine..
Barri