Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit-down Handiquilter >

Sit-down Handiquilter

Sit-down Handiquilter

Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 AM

I love this machine! I test drove one recently and it was wonderful!!! Now my dealer is selling their floor model cheap and I'm sooooo tempted.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM

I love my Sweet 16 sitdown from Handiquilter! I spent some time on a long arm, and I found I just didn't like it as well. I really enjoy the feel of fabric under my hands, and I feel more intimate with my quilt when I use the sitdown. Besides, it also takes up a lot less room and costs less! I got mine in May, and I've quilted (I think!) 5 quilts, a bunch of table runners, and a bunch of placemats on it. Wish I had more tops ready, or I'd quilt even more. This is in addition to the practice sandwiches and the practice work I did for one quilting class.

For an earlier poster, the Sweet 16 is just like your domestic machine except on steroids! All it does it straight stitch free motion quilting - no stitch regulator, no stitch length, no feed dogs. You are the driver all the way. It has a 16" throat space and the table that comes with it has the machine facing straight at you, 90 degrees different than most people work with a domestic machine.

Most people have an initial problem with regulating tensions. Like most professional machines, it has a much wider tension selection than your home machine, and you need to spin the tension dial a full turn to make even small corrections. However, once you figure that out it will take about any thread that you can throw at it. I've used Aurifil (my favorite) in 40 and 50 weight, So Fine, King Tut, Yenmet metallic, Guttermann, YLI, and even the Superior water soluble thread (for basting).

Can you tell I really like my machine <huge grin>?

Pam
Old 02-13-2012, 03:17 PM

OHMYGOSH, I can't believe I did it...now to await delivery and set up, I am SO excited!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:22 PM

For anyone who just bought the HQ16, is yours stitch regulated?

Reason I ask is that I saw this http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/Ha...xteen.php#5104
it says under the bullets that it's stitch regulated..

I too don't have the room for a huge table unless I add on (yeah right), so am looking at this model.

Last edited by tuesy; 02-27-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:55 PM

Well,it's 2 weeks later & I still haven't done much on it yet. My DD is lovin it though & picking it up great! Yes, Leah Day site is wonderful!.I'm almost finished w/PP a quilt that I hate so I may try to quilt that one. I'll learn it I know-It will just take me longer! I would really reccomend the HQ for small spaces & for people that need to sit as I do!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 PM

I just got an HQ16 and I was really like the deer in the headlights. Finally I just went for it. I am involved with our Community Quilts group and there are always quilts to be quilted. Took a bunch of those and just started going for it. Just remember to breathe and take breaks. It does get better and confidence in yourself will come along day by day and quilt by quilt.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by tuesy View Post
For anyone who just bought the HQ16, is yours stitch regulated?

I too don't have the room for a huge table unless I add on (yeah right), so am looking at this model.
Reason I ask is that I saw this http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/Ha...xteen.php#5104
it says under the bullets that it's stitch regulated..

No, I think they just mean that you can change the speeds. You can set 3 of your favorites, or change it to whatever makes you comfortable. I don't find a stitch regulator necessary though, the stitches stay pretty uniform as long as your motion is fairly consistent. I find it much easier than on the Janome, just because of the extra room I think. I'm not sure, but I think if you put it on a frame, you can purchase the stitch regulator.

I took a longarm class and thought I needed the stitch regulator. Did most of the class with it, then she talked us into trying it without and quickly found out it stitched much more smoothly without it, and the stitches still looked perfect. I was amazed!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM

Thank you omaluvs2quilt. That's what I was thinking, but wasn't really sure.

I did see that you can add to it later with the regulator and even put it on a frame, but unless my room grows overnight, I don't see that happening.

One more question...if you get a sit down model, you're still having to pin/spray or baste the sandwich together.. how do ya'll do it?
I saw a video a while back, can't remember where now of course, but she had this big huge wall that she did the sandwiching on. It was awesome.
Only problem with that is I don't have a wall that big that doesn't have a window smack in the middle of it..

Last edited by tuesy; 02-28-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 AM

[QUOTE=tuesy;5016598]Thank you omaluvs2quilt. That's what I was thinking, but wasn't really sure.

I did see that you can add to it later with the regulator and even put it on a frame, but unless my room grows overnight, I don't see that happening.

One more question...if you get a sit down model, you're still having to pin/spray or baste the sandwich together.. how do ya'll do it?
I saw a video a while back, can't remember where now of course, but she had this big huge wall that she did the sandwiching on. It was awesome.
Only problem with that is I don't have a wall that big that doesn't have a window smack in the middle of it..[/QUOT

Hahaha, same problem I have...and nope my space isn't going to get any bigger either! I spray baste with 505. I saw that video and looks interesting, but the logistics of that boggle my mind. We baste on the floor and tape down a plastic painters sheet to catch the overspray. I have medical issues that make it a little difficult, but my husband does the hard part and I just do the smoothing. I love the 505 though, no shifting or anything...makes quilting a dream!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 PM

When I took a class on the sit down machine by David Taylor they had sandwiches of plain and patterned fabric. To learn meander, he had polka dot fabric we had to maneuver around and I could see improvement after working on that project. Then we did outlining of a large flower print. It was fun and got our hand/eye coordination to improve. You might look for some fabric you could follow to practice to get the "feel" of the machine.