Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit down quilting machines >

Sit down quilting machines

Sit down quilting machines

Old 01-12-2014, 12:46 PM

Default Sit down quilting machines

I am wondering what size quilt you can successfully and comfortably quilt on a sit down machine (looking at HQ Sweet 16 or Gammill Charm). Also would love to hear about stitch regulation and am interested in feedback about HQ 16 versus the Gammill Charm.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:24 PM

I know lots of people quilt king sized quilts on the sweet 16 (which is what I have). I don't have the stitch regulation. I bought mine before it was available and never missed it. I had BSR on my Bernina 440 and found it like training wheels - good for initial learning but you grow out of it quickly.

Pam
Old 01-12-2014, 01:29 PM

I have the same sweet 16 and don't feel I've outgrown it. I love how much I keep learning, I prefer it to standing but only do up to a queen size, I have done dozens of other size quilts too I don't have the stitch regulator but after using it I really don't need it
Old 01-12-2014, 07:32 PM

Thanks so asking this questions. I've been wishing for a sit down thinking I could do all sizes with it but when I look at the stand up I'm uncertain which would be better. I do a lot of smaller projects so am leaning toward the sit down. Will be interested in hearing what others say
Old 01-12-2014, 09:36 PM

I've been looking at the quilting machines too, but for me it's going to have to be cheaper than what I've seen. I really ticks me off at the prices of quilting machines. Anyway...
Old 01-13-2014, 03:15 AM
Power Poster

you can do pretty much any size you want; it all just takes learning the process & practice. as for the stitch regulator---you can certainly learn to quilt without it- some people love using one- some use them for a period of time then stop, some never use one at all...it's a personal choice. it would be good if you are considering making an investment to visit local dealers and try out the different machines, with/without stitch regulator, stand up, sit down and the different brands of machines ask all of your questions while at the dealers (or booths at shows), ask about service, free owners classes, warranties, supplies, ease of set up, space requirements; then after you have your 'pros & cons' you can make an informed choice which will be the best investment for you- then you could always look around for a used one (check dealers who may have used ones from people upgrading) if you want.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 AM

ThreadHead, I am right there with you. The prices are so out of range for hobby quilters.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:14 AM

I have a sweet 16. I think the main thing is to have enough table space on either side that you don't have it dropping in the floor. Otherwise it does just fine. Love mine.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 AM

I purchased a Sunshine 16 instead of the HQ Sweet 16, mainly because of the price. The model I bought does not come with a table, but can sit on any table you want, so you are not limited to the space where you can put a table. It doesn't come with a BSR, but I have one on my Bernina 440 and never use it. The Sunshine 16 is made in the USA and is fully guaranteed. And it was less than half the price of the HQ Sweet 16. If you're interested, go to www.sunshine16.com and look at the machines.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 AM

I got a demo Sweet 17 from a local dealer and just love it. Factors in the decision - I took a class from her in using a standup longarm first and really hated it. You need a HUGE amount of space for that rod contraption, while the S16, with its table can fit in a reasonable amount of space. I simply cannot stand for hours on end. I don't like to be so far away from what I'm working on, and find directing the huge machine is very stressfu. Sitting with my quilt and moving it around under the needle just feels like a normal process to me. Driving with handles does not. Although it cost several thousand dollars, it was nothing like the huge cost of a longarm. So consider all these things first, and try out everything you can before you decide. I know too many people who thought they needed a longarm and now don't use them. Although my machine accommodates the stitch regulator I did not buy it because it cost too much more and frankly, I've had two experts I met at quilt shows selling them, admit that they really aren't necessary. I didn't like worrying about that thing moving around under my quilt and having to be sure I didn't let it fall off on the floor. Good luck in your quest.