Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Size and inside padding

Blog Entries
    What size of placemat do you prefer, I was thinking 15" x 19", maybe 14" x 17"?? What would you put in the center, warm and natural or flannel? Does anyone have a nice pattern or know where I can find one? It will be for a batchelor and have farmall tractors on it. I have 3 fabrics: Green with International H; Tan with black farmers driving a farmall, plowing, combining, etc; the third is red with black. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

Blog Entries
    I like to use washed flannel because I can throw the placemats in the washing machine whenever they need it.

Blog Entries
    I did custom ones for DDIL. They were 15 x 12. There are so many ways to make them. Do a google search and see what comes up.

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltcetera.com/Tutorials...placemats.html
    This is a possibility. I just used regular cotton batting scraps.

I just finished several sets of placemats and sandwiched all of them with two layers of polyester batting. I made all of them 13 X 19 which seems to work out well with basic table settings. I used cotton/polyester blends for the tops and backs. And I "deisgned" the tops by modifying several popular quilt patters, flying geese, log cabin, etc. The only limitation was to make the designs fit into my chosen size.

Quote Originally Posted by jmabby
    What size of placemat do you prefer, I was thinking 15" x 19", maybe 14" x 17"?? What would you put in the center, warm and natural or flannel? Does anyone have a nice pattern or know where I can find one? It will be for a batchelor and have farmall tractors on it. I have 3 fabrics: Green with International H; Tan with black farmers driving a farmall, plowing, combining, etc; the third is red with black. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks
    Sounds like you have some nice fabric and I'd love to see it!

As for your batting for placemats ... there is a special insulated one with a silvery layer, that will help reflect any heat away from the table. It'd give you the best protection.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone, I will try to take a phot when done.