Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Size of a toddler bed quilt? >

Size of a toddler bed quilt?

Size of a toddler bed quilt?

Old 07-29-2016, 02:10 PM

Default Size of a toddler bed quilt?

Hi, Please tell me what size a toddler bed quilt should be. I saw online 27 x 54. Is this correct? From what I was told it is a crib mattress but I don't know if it is a normal bed or a crib surround. It is located at the grandparents house and I am trying to surprise them with a quilt for it.

Thank you,
Old 07-29-2016, 02:13 PM

I believe it is 54 x 72 inches. Larger than afghan but small than twin. Hope this helps.
dj
Old 07-29-2016, 05:42 PM

I agree that most toddler beds are about the same as crib mattresses. I've seen some "youth" beds that were a little larger. I'm sure if you make one that fits a crib, you should be fine. Post your pictures when you're finished!
Old 07-29-2016, 07:16 PM

Most use a regular crib mattress---but since this child will outgrow it fairly quickly, why not go ahead with a twin size that with end tucked under the mattress it doesn't ruin the design--such as an ISpy quilt.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:18 AM

Toddler beds can be either twin size and low to the ground or crib size. If you make a "throw size" quilt, it would work with either one. Toddlers have a tendency to cart them around so I would not make it too big.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:48 AM

Best to measure the bed to be sure. No set answer. See post today about similar question about size. Same applies here.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:51 AM

I've seen sites that mention 27" x 54", and so sometimes people make blankets in that size for our local chapter of Project Linus. In my opinion, that is too narrow and out of proportion – it just looks odd when you hold it up. It might fit well on a bed, but it's kind of funky to wrap up in. Just my two cents' worth.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:26 AM

I would make what I call crib size 45x54. It's big enough to use on a toddler bed or crib yet not so big it will be too heavy to carry around. Also, that size makes a nice floor quilt for tummy time
Old 07-30-2016, 07:14 AM

It generally is a crib mattress on a small bed frame. As others have mentioned, one thing to consider is whether you want it small enough to carry around (just barely big enough to cover the bed) or whether this is a quilt that can go with them to their big girl/boy bed. I make mine 65x65" for 3 reasons.
1. Even 27 x 54" is pretty long for young toddlers to successfully drag up/down the stairs -- especially if it's cotton (children up to age 3 can still struggle with regulating temperature so synthetic bedding is usually not the best option; for a lightweight batting, I'd either go with wool or QD Request cotton). Some mothers prefer a larger quilt that isn't easily dragged around the house both for safety reasons and to cut down on laundry. I make mine with a high loft cotton. It's just light enough to move to make occasional "forts" in their bedrooms, but not light enough to drag other places.
2. Realistically, I've got enough quilts to make for my 4 nieces & nephews (each 1 year apart) and clients that it's not possible for me to make another quilt 2 years from now. I want a quilt that can follow them to a Twin. 65x65" doesn't completely cover a Twin mattress, but it's close -- and certainly close enough for several more years.
3. In my family, projected heights for the children are anywhere from 5'11' for the girls to 6'7" for the boys. Since I've met a fair number of people who brought their baby/toddler quilts with them to college, I wanted to make it big enough to actually cover them as a lap quilt.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:32 AM

Thank you for the responses to my question. There is some thought provoking information here and now I need to get back to the re-design process as I already bought the fabric and made the hexes for the 27 x 54 I had intended to make. Now I will need to make it larger and will need to redesign fast in case I need more of the same fabrics. They were used bolts I bought from-not full bolts. So I know how today will be spent. LOL I have learned a good lesson which is before you start an EPP project---chart it out so you know exactly where you are going!