Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sizing vs starch

I bought the Niagara starch the other day, heard it wouldn't flake... It's flaking all over my fabric and i have it on the cotton setting.. :(

Quote Originally Posted by diogirl
    I bought the Niagara starch the other day, heard it wouldn't flake... It's flaking all over my fabric and i have it on the cotton setting.. :(

I was told that your have to wait until the starch is absorbed by the fabric before ironing. That is supposed to stop of flaking. I never have time to wait for the fabric to absorb the starch, hence, I always have flaking.

Oh! I did't wait.. I guess that's what I did wrong.. :oops:

What I do with starch when ironing, and I don't have time or patience to wait either, just take your hand and brush it over the spot you just sprayed. That stops the flaking. Hope this helps, I buy the cheapest starch I can find and read this somewhere. Tried it and it worked.

Rita

This may be a dumb question but I thought that sizing or starch was used to stabilize the fabric during construction and then was (always?) washed out when the quilt was done. I wondered if this was the case though when I read the comments about starch attracting bugs. So, is it washed out after construction is complete or not? Now occurs to me that an exception to washing out might be a wall hanging??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2