Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Slider Mats and/or alternatives >

Slider Mats and/or alternatives

Slider Mats and/or alternatives

Old 06-20-2015, 12:07 PM

Have you checked out www.jennoop.com for some ideas? Some people have made their own system or use dog grooming arms to hold their quilts. Leah Day suspends her quilts from the ceiling.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
I use an oven liner mat, bought at a kitchen store for about $10. I positioned it, marked where my needle would go down, and cut out a little hole there. I sometimes put a small piece of tape around different areas of edge to hold it to table. I also use a pair of garden gloves with little grippies on them.
I use one of these also, but stuck bumpy rubber shelf liner on its bottom to keep it from moving around as I quilt. It's been a long time since I added the shelf liner ... but I think I used double backed tape to secure it to the teflon oven liner. I really like it. It is large and was inexpensive.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:19 AM

I took a class on fmq and had the problem with the mat sliding and did sew it to fabric The instructor suggested carnauba wax purchased from Wal mart. This made all the difference in the world. And not very expensive.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:32 AM

I have used the oven mat purchased thru Amazon...yes...you have to tape it down. Green Frog tape works great for this as it doesn't leave a sticky residue. I also purchased the Jennoop to help hold my quilt "up". Both items have made my quilting experience so much easier.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:55 AM

Wait for a sale and buy one of the slider mats. I found that this really helped
Old 06-21-2015, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
Have you checked out www.jennoop.com for some ideas? Some people have made their own system or use dog grooming arms to hold their quilts. Leah Day suspends her quilts from the ceiling.
My Significant other just made this system for me yesterday. He's finishing up the strapping on the clamps as we speak. I can't wait to use it this week!! I had the exact clamps from my parents estate sale, and the PVC in quite inexpensive. He made it with more stable legs, though. I have sewn through my supreme slider , also!
Old 06-21-2015, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by margarethart2 View Post
I have made some feeble attempts at free motion quilting, but my fabric drags and it makes it difficult. I have read that these "slider mats" really help with that, but they seem a bit pricey to me. Is there an alternative, or a way to make your own without paying so much? Thanks!
First I waxed the bed of my machine with car wax. rub on , wait till it dries, and polish, this helped a lot. Have only done it once in 2 years, is still slick. On my Janome, I bought a slicone oven liner from a kitchen supply store (about $10), first time I got the bright idea to spray it with spray adhesive. DON'T DO THAT, took me hours to clean off when I wanted to replace the liner. Now I stick it on with tape that won't leave a residue, trim it to fit, cut a small hole for the needle plate, & just make sure you cover all edges as they will turn up during the quilting process if not covered. This material seems to be the same as the slider sheets. Again, because it says "quilting" they rip us.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:45 AM

I had a slider mat, didn't like it, passed it on to another quilter who passed it on etc. I do not think they are worth the money. There are lots of good ideas here and I would definitely try one of them before putting money into a slider mat.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:53 AM

I just purchased a large slider mat after taking a workshop in FMQ. Wish I'd asked here first. I'm pleased with it, but it's new.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I must be doing something right because my slider mat never moves around or slips from the extension table of my machine. When it gets linty I wash it in warm water and it clings like new. It is the Supreme Slider. It is years old, bought it when it was available to order and bought another for a spare but never have had to use it.